volvo 360 gls fault 1984 model

Car starts, runs for about 6 miles, starts spluttering badly, power goes, engine dies ,ignition lights on panel etc come on. Wait for about 30 secs or a minute. Car starts but runs very badly after that, spluttering, as if there is no fuel. Have checked supply of fuel,seems to be ok, have checked sensor lead as in Haynes manual,. Have asked Volvo garages, and others. Everyone mystified. Can u help please? I saw some comments onthis site about a similar fault but there did not seem to be a remedy mentioned. Shouldnt think it is icing, its hot weather at moment.

Reply to
ron

Stromberg CD175 carb? Check diaphragm isnt split first. If it has the bendix computerised ignition then check output from the crank angle sensor next- they sometimes break down when they get warm.- remove 2 wire plug from igntion unit, connect to AC voltmeter, spin engine on starter- look for a minimum of 5v at cranking speed.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Tim, Thank you for your response.

I believe the carburettor is a Weber. Whereabouts is the diaphragm please, is it in the fuel pump? I have checked output from sensor etc and it is as the book says. ron

Reply to
ron

An 84 car should have the Stromberg carb.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

I thought 83 was the last year to use the side draught carb, the Solex/Webber down draught. Its pretty reliable.

Anyway, sounds like ignition breaking down. make sure all leads are new, dist cap, take off coil and clean thoughly. Check or renew plugs.

-- Tony Stanley ++Always Learning++

Reply to
Tony Stanley