Volvo 740 - interior noise level

Hi,

This evening I took my 1989 Volvo 740 GLE 16 Valve for a drive along the Sydney-Newcastle freeway. I noticed this time, and in the past, that the interior noise level is quite noticeable going at 110 km/h (68 mph). I could hear the normal wind noise generated by the car going at that high speed fairly loudly. Is this normal? Did Volvo improve the wind noise problem on the 940's so it is less noticeable?

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Gottschald

Compared to my 242t, the interior noise in my 740ti is like riding in a Bentley ;-)

--

-don

'81 242t '89 744ti

Reply to
don hodgdon

Only time I've noticed a wind noise on my 740's is when the Electric windows don't close properly, usually due to worn tracks. Mostly on the drivers door. Which in my case (UK), is the right hand one.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

How's the condition of the door seals? Sometimes they age or get damaged and allow more wind noise in. My '87 740 is quite quiet inside.

Reply to
James Sweet

My 740 had worn out bushings on the trannny which caused the drive shaft to sag a little and made for a sort of "road noise" type of sound like rough pavement. Might look at that.

Reply to
Henry

Which reminds me, the other day I found out that '90 740 (and 940's) has better door seal on the front doors than the '89 and earlier models. On the '89 and earlier models, the door seal which mounts on the front doors seals along the A pillar and across the top of the door, and terminates there. On the '90 and later models, it continues down to seal along the B pillar as well. I can only imagine that this makes the car even quieter. _________________ Will '90 Volvo 744 GLT B230F converted to B230FB (531 Head & VX3 Cam)

Reply to
William Liao

Reply to
electricsheep

It shouldn't be a problem, I think these seals are glued onto the doors. Trying to remove them from a used car might be a pain however, it's probably easier to buy new ones from Volvo. _________________ Will '90 Volvo 744 GLT B230F converted to B230FB (531 Head & VX3 Cam)

Reply to
William Liao

Coincidentally my 89' 740 on the driver side has a bit more wind/road noise coming in due to the door seal being flattened from just plain old age. However a mechanic told me that spraying silicon on the seals and leaving the doors open for about 15 minutes to let it penetrate will rejuvinate them. Unfortunately with the weather being well below zero for the next few months here in Canada I'll have to wait until spring to see if this little trick actually works.

Can anyone out there confirm if this tip does work?

Norbert

Reply to
Norbert Ricafort