Volvo 850 GLT

The volvo is a 97 with 180,000. The problem is there is white smoke coming out of exhaust, The motor has a lot of pressure in it. When car is running and you pull dip stick for oil, you can hear the pressure being realeased. When coming down a hill it really stinks from exhaust fumes. This all just started happening. Otherwise the car runs good. I have been hearing, head gasket, piston,rings , pvc valve and erg something.

Can anyone HELP !!!!!

Thank you

Reply to
weldboy1

"White smoke" (steam) indicates a leak between the cooling system and the combustion chamber(s). Go to a good mechanic for a cooling system pressure test. I suspect a head gasket. Check your coolant level.

The pressure sound through the dipstick hole *does* sound like a ring problem. Again, a good mechanic can diagnose this.

Also have the mechanic check the PCV valve.

Chuck Fiedler Nothing but Volvo since 1974 Currently a '93 240 and a '97 850

Reply to
c.fiedler

I'm no mechanic but just want to confirm something. I always thought white and blue smoke were oil burning and black smoke was coolant.

I'm thinking he's burning oil. If so, perhaps a SeaFoam treatment as a cheap first attempt to clean, along with PCV maintenance and then start examining hardware.

Jamie

Jamie

Blue smoke is oil, white smoke with a sweet smell is coolant, while black smoke is soot from a rich mixture.

Oil smoke is light colored enough to be called white if we aren't too critical about it :-) That's what I think is going on - crankcase pressure is building up and forcing oil from the turbo into the exhaust.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee