Pressurized sump 300Tdi

I've noticed my 300Tdi Disco seems to be running a bit rough on tickover. If it were a petrol engine you'd swear it was missing on one cylinder. Seems fine at other engine speeds.

On further investigation I've found the sump to be pressurizing.Take out the dip stick and there is white smoke chuffing out. Also the same white smoke coming from the oil filler. There is no oil in the coolant and no sign of water in the oil. The exhaust has no signs of either oil or water vapour. Oil and water levels have remained constant.

I suspect either a broken compression ring or maybe a cracked piston.

Any suggestions from the group would be most welcome. The engine's done about 155,000 Kms has been serviced at 5000 Kms intervals and driven conservatively.

Reply to
Simon Mills

And I'll second that.

Reply to
EMB

I disagree and would put my money on the head gasket has gone.

It will even guess that it has blown between number four piston and number 8 pushrod hole. (will have no effect on the cooling system.)

Be warned that running it like that could cause oil mist to find its way into the inlet manifold via the breather system and the engine will rev out of control and drink all its oil. The only way to stop it is to stall it (difficult with an auto).

I have seen loads of head gaskets on 200 & 300 Tdis fail like this. A quick head gasket swap and it will be fine. Alot cheeper than pulling the pistons out.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

-- Marc

FOR SALE : DISCOVERY II (02) SERENGETTI 7SEAT 39,000 MILES FSH DISCOVERY II (51) GS7, ACE, SLS, CLIMATE,67,000 MILES B.F.G AT'S DISCOVERY TDI R REG EPSOM GREEN, 7SEATS, AC, AW. DISCOVERY TDI M REG VAN 100,000 MILES.

Reply to
Marc Draper

On or around Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:21:26 -0000, "Marc Draper" enlightened us thusly:

not quite - if you can get at the air intake you can block it, and I dare say flooding the intake with CO2 from a CO2 fire extinguisher would put the fire out as well, though that means having it to hand.

head-lift will settle it one way or the other.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Come on Austin !

You are doing 50 mph down the motorway your engine starts to race....so you stop...open the bonnet, and being the disco the bonnet pull in on the wrong side, you then grab the fire extinguisher from its hiding place and try to fire it at the front wheel in a hope that it will find its way into the air intake !!! A disco engine only holds 6.9 L of oil I think it would have guzzled all of that and stopped itself buy the time you where fumbling with the pin on the fire extinguisher. ;-)

You could always drive it into handy lake that would stop it !!

I had a customer who had this happen on the M4 last year she pulled up on the hard shoulder got out and stood and watched untill it stopped. I put a head gasket on it and it has been fine ever since. probably added a few thousand miles to the engine in a only few seconds. Was very surprised that it sounded so sweet after.

-- Marc

FOR SALE : DISCOVERY II (02) SERENGETTI 7SEAT 39,000 MILES FSH DISCOVERY II (51) GS7, ACE, SLS, CLIMATE,67,000 MILES B.F.G AT'S DISCOVERY TDI R REG EPSOM GREEN, 7SEATS, AC, AW. DISCOVERY TDI M REG VAN 100,000 MILES.

Reply to
Marc Draper

Austin wrote; head-lift will settle it one way or the other.

Reply to
Simon Mills

Good luck. Ask to see the head gasket when they take it off.

Reply to
Marc Draper