volvo super polar

I am just curious. What means volvo 240 "super polar"?

Does is mean the car is a stationmodel? Are there volvo 240 stations which are not a "super polar"?

Thanks in advance (a volvo V40- driver)

Reply to
superfly

"Super Polar" is a stationcar, one of the last ones Volvo produced! Fully loaded with options.

Other models:

240 DL, GL, GLT, GLE, Polar, Turbo
Reply to
Rob

superfly schrieb:

My understanding is that the (super) polar models are well equipped cars at the end of the 200 series.

But I may be wrong, too.

Roland

Reply to
Roland Messerschmidt

What is a stationcar? Is that the same as a station wagon? And, why is station thrown in there anyway? Does this mean they were originally designed for cabbies to pick up people and lots of luggage at the station (bus,train)?

Reply to
doofy

Basically.

says: "Station wagon in the automobile sense is first recorded 1929, from earlier use for a horse-drawn conveyance that took passengers to and from railroad stations (1894)"

reports: "station wagon definition: An automobile having an extended interior with a third seat or luggage platform and a tailgate. [Originally a covered wagon used to convey passengers from a train station to their hotel.]"

In England I believe they use the term "estate car" rather than "station wagon."

Reply to
Tim McNamara

Hi,

Have to admit, I've never heard of a "240 Polar". Could we receive more info about it? I thought the "Classic" was the last 240 model.

Andy I.

Reply to
Andy

Here in the UK , the last 240 was the torslanda estate, which was available only in bright red with the 2.0 B200F engine, which was totally lame, as eveyone has kept their more-loaded-better-handling-larger engined GLT's. And they wanted £16grand for it!

Volvo should have got a grip and brought the GLT TI to the UK for the run outs and gone out in style....

At least they did with the last 940 Celebrations with the 17's, full fat

192bhp turbo, nice pearlescent dark red paint and all the interior bells and whistles- basically a topof the range 940 with all the remaining options ticked- even tow bars, nivo's, Cd changer and climate.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Before they were called Estate Cars in the UK, they were 'Shooting Brakes'

As I understand they were originally designed to be useful to posh toffs on their country estate. Originally a shooting brake was a horse drawn carriage used to convey the squire, shooting party and dogs etc, to the grouse moor.

Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron(UK)

Hi,

Andy schrieb:

According to Wikipedia, you're right...

Roland

Reply to
Roland Messerschmidt

Thanks Roland,

I thought I'd missed something. We acquired one of the last of the 240's, the "Classic", in April '93. There were 1600 produced in this "Limited Edition". Ours is 553/1600. I'd still like to know what a 240 "Polar" is.

Andy I.

Reply to
Andy

Well, now, that is interesting. "Honey, I'm going to take the shooting brake to run a few errands."

Reply to
Tim McNamara

I never quite understood why Americans called them wagons, as by definition, a wagon is a four (or more) wheeled vehicle designed to be drawn (usually by a horse or tractor or locomotive)

Ron(UK)

940 Wentworth Turbo estate car
Reply to
Ron(UK)

Or a small wheeled cart used by children to haul toys and other cargo around. The term always seemed intuitive to me, implying the large flat cargo box area in the back, but then that's what we've always called them.

Reply to
James Sweet

On the other hand, In Britain we often refer to lorry drivers (truckers in the US) as wagon drivers which obviously goes back to the days of horse drawn vehicles, i.e. coal wagon

Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron(UK)

"Roland Messerschmidt" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...

In Europe Polar was sell in normal colors without A/C and with normal weels

Giluk

2003V70d5
Reply to
Giluk

It would be interesting to read the Volvo desginer thoughts when naming that car. My first impression was that it was a special car designed for operation in extreme cold at the north or south pole. I imagined special heaters, six powered wheels, huge snow tires, continually pre-heated motor, etc.

Reply to
Roadie