Volvo vs. Subaru AWD?

Which is better in terms of AWD?

This video seems to show the Subaru as much, much better.

Anyone have real world experience why I would choose Volvo over Subaru?

I can see the XC70 has more space and more safety features, but for the price difference - the Subaru seems a better deal.

Input please?

Thanks,

Tmuld

Reply to
Tmuldoon

I had a Subaru Legacy and now have a XC70. The AWD on both was more than adequate. That is not a deciding factor. What was different was:

1) The Subaru was a much smaller vehicle with less power and worse gas mileage. 2) The Subaru brakes rusted so bad that they required major overhaul to pass state inspection. Volvo brakes just keep on working with just the occasional new pads. 3) The Subaru had such bad body rust that the entire tailgate had to be replaced and the rest of the car had to be body pasted and repainted. My Volvos have never had body rust. 4) The Subaru AWD transaxle had a major failure and had to be replaced. My XC70 has not had any problems. 5) The Subaru also had the passenger sun visor fall off, the drivers door locked permanently with me inside, the a/c compressor fell apart and had to be replaced, all 4 shocks failed, the axle bearings failed, and the sun roof leaked, all in less than 120,000 miles.

The Subaru was cheap to buy, but had to be scrapped with only 120,000 miles. My Volvos are a little more expensive to buy but have excellent resale value, With 120,000 to 180,000 miles on them, they sell in 1 day privately for about 25 to 35% of the purchase price. So even though the Subaru was cheaper to own, the net cost of ownership was much higher.

Absolutely no comparison.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

That sounds shockingly bad. Several friends of mine have Subarus, the oldest is a '99, has about 150K on it, only work that's been done on it is routine maintenance, the car still looks almost new inside and out. Then again, even

30 year old cars rarely have rust in this area.
Reply to
James Sweet

Before drawing any conclusions about the traction worthiness of one system over the other I would like to see a more professional test performed. Clearly the "test" in that video was supposed to leave the viewer with the impression that vehicles with the Volvo AWD system can barely get out of their own tracks. If the Volvo AWD system really performed that poorly, car reviewers would have throughly skewered the Volvo system long before now. Additionally, the two AWD systems are different and the driving technique used on one may not work well on the other.

I would not be surprised if the individual performing that test has another hidden agenda.

Reply to
Roadie

As far as i know audi quattro is the far best awd system in the world ever made. Take a look at this:

Hakan Gemici

Well, it sure shows off the ability of the spiked tires . . . but who knows what it says about the Quattro system?

Java

Reply to
Espressopithecus (Java Man)

Well, I think the second link I've given clarifies the difference between four wheel drive systems and quattro better. I'd like to mention here that I am a volvo owner, and also a big fan. I wish xc70 beat the others.

Reply to
Hakan Gemici

Reply to
Hakan Gemici