Subaru AWD vs. Volvo AWD

Hi!

Are there any Volvo owner out there who also have a Subaru? Or vice versa?

I am seeking a decent AWD car for a good price, good reliability and always decent cost.

Anyone care to share any experiences?

Thanks,

Tmuld.

Reply to
Tavish Muldoon

I have an '03 Volvo VC70, and have had 5 Subarus. IMO the Subaru is the better built, better performing vehicle. I can't wait for the Volvo lease to end so that I can get another Outback.

Reply to
Joel Schleifstein

We have a 2001 S60 2.4T. In 4 years, 2 months, and just a bit over 57,000 miles, we've found it a substantial, safe-feeling, comfortable car with a back seat that's too small, and overall maintenance and repair costs that are too high. However, as a total safety package, it's probably unsurpassed, even by Subaru (although Subaru may be getting close). My Subaru is a 2004 Forester 2.5XT, which I've had for 18 months and about 22,000 miles. Only complaints: A climate control system that is not as good as the Volvo's, and gas mileage that's not as good as the Volvo's.

Overall, my advice: Get the Subaru. It also will cost slightly less than the Volvo (depending on model, of course).

HW

Reply to
Hal Whelply

I just had to have all four brake discs resurfaced due to some slight pulsation that first showed up around 18,000 miles. Service techs said there were blue spots from high heat. I am not that hard on brakes, though I'll admit to quite a bit of stop-and-go city driving. Even then, I don't race from one stop light to another. I never had such a problem on six Hondas. Over at

there seems to be some indications that brakes may be something of a Subaru weak spot. I don't have enough experience yet to say and, happily, warranty took care of this problem for now. Time will tell.

For now, again, I'd still take a chance on a Subaru rather than another Volvo.

HW

Reply to
Hal Whelply

I was glad to see Consumer Reports rate Subaru the most reliable brand, and include ratings for the past few years. When I saw that 01 Outbacks (i.e. mine) had brake problems, I googled this group and asked my dealer. Both said that brakes that year were squeaky, which was repairable at one stop. So as far as that particular CR rating for that particular goes, problem or weak spot might be too strong a term.

Reply to
John Rethorst

Based on my experience, and that of several others that I have talked to, "problem or weak spot" is *not* too strong a term. I also had brakes that pulsated in my 2001 Outback, and had to have work done of them at somewhere between 20,000 and 25,000 miles. The warranty took care of that. Then they began pulsating again, and additional work was done at 35,000 miles. I had to pay for that. At 50,000, they had to replace the front rotors and pads, which of course I had to pay for. Quite expensive. I am not hard on my brakes at all, and have not had this problem with other makes of cars. The Subaru service techs said that the brakes don't last as long as they used to since manufacturers were required to stop using asbestos in them. Hence the overheating and scoring.

I love my Outback, and plan to get another one eventually - but I hope they succeed in making better and longer lasting brakes.

Reply to
TR
65000 miles on OEM Subaru brakes and still going. No problems here.

Reply to
Fred D.