What is Volvo Lifetime guarantee

I have posted about a hollow noise from the rear end of my S60. The main dealers have said problem in exhaust but live with it as otherwise in excellent condition and new one is £500. A friend has said when he used to own Volvos they had a 'lifetime guarantee on the car/parts and if something went within its expected life Volvo would effect a repair but at a lower pro rata rate.

Is this true and does it still apply or did they drop the scheme?

Ken

Reply to
Ken

I haven't heard of a lifetime warranty on Volvo or any other car. I would be very surprised if a car maker would take on such an open ended liability.

It is something like this. Volvo say a part should last for 10 years but fails in 5 so only charges half the repair rate but may be half the part rate and full labour rate?

Ken

Reply to
Ken

I have not heard of this kind of warranty.

I'll give the Main Dealer a call tomorrow????

Ken

Reply to
Ken

I think Rolls-Royce had something of the sort many years ago, but have never heard of one for a Volvo. If it exists, I'd like to talk to them about some things on my '72 145...

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

In article < snipped-for-privacy@j44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, Roadie < snipped-for-privacy@cs.com> wrote: Ken wrote: I have posted about a hollow noise from the rear end of my S60. The main dealers have said problem in exhaust but live with it as otherwise in excellent condition and new one is £500. A friend has said when he used to own Volvos they had a 'lifetime guarantee on the car/parts and if something went within its expected life Volvo would effect a repair but at a lower pro rata rate. Is this true and does it still apply or did they drop the scheme? I haven't heard of a lifetime warranty on Volvo or any other car. I would be very surprised if a car maker would take on such an open ended liability. I think Rolls-Royce had something of the sort many years ago, but have never heard of one for a Volvo. If it exists, I'd like to talk to them about some things on my '72 145...

Gary

At least there was such a lifetime guarantee on exhaust systems during the life of my 1985 745! However the catch was that it applied only the replacement system, you had to pay for the replacement system and then volvo guaranteed the replacements to that, ala midas. if volvo installed the first replacement, then successors includor also. in my case, i bout the first one and installed it so when it needed replacement, i simply exchanged the muffler and pipes and they gave me the new one.

my 98 v70XC has 95k us miles and exhaust system seems to be ok. i suspect if this s60 has an exhaust resonance replacing the exhause will only give a new one with a similar sound?

[us miles because it is a little known factoid that sweden also has miles, eg, my swedish ford service booklet has service for 7500 mil which actually is 75 000km, i guess it conserves ink by not printing all those zeroes in ads and documents?]

--------------000401020603040706020303--

Reply to
klh in VA

It certainly used to apply in the UK in the early 90s. But there were a number of catches, including that you had to have proof that the car had been serviced by a Volvo main dealer at the specified intervals throughout the car's life to date, and (from what I remember) all spares used were genuine Volvo parts. Also I think the guarantee covered only parts, not labour (which, of course, had to be carried out by a dealer not to invalidate the lifetime guarantee). The conditions caused so much hassle with Volvo owners who just slightly overran the service interval and thus lost the guarantee that in the end Volvo dropped the scheme.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Being as tight as I have been known to drill a small hole where the rattle is or in the small hole,then pump it with a reasonable amount of silastic which cures the leak or rattle and if done neatly is undetectable .But dont run with a leak as carbon monoxide is lethal .

Reply to
John Robertson