which volvos can tow 2000 lbs?

I'm relatively new to Volvos, bought a 240DL last year and have grown to appreciate it's qualities. Now we're thinking of downsizing our camping rig, from a camper/truck to a 2000 pound camper and smaller tow vehicle. What would be a good choice of a durable and capable Volvo? Budget will dictate a 5-10 year old car....

Appreciate any input, Brett and Penny

Reply to
B A R

If you plan to tow, I suggest a Turbo model as they produce a lot more torque which will come in handy. Personally I'd lean towards a 940 Turbo, I don't know what the official towing capacity is but I know people who have towed another 3000lb Volvo with one.

Reply to
James Sweet

yea, i would agree w/James.....I towed w/a 240 1992 wagon quite a bit of lbs, but it was strained and i would not do it regulary...try a 940t wagon beef up the rear suspension.....or a 8 series t wagon... imho....

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

I've been towing this sort of weight with 740s and 940s for years - you can't beat them for the money! Best one so far was a 2.3 940 Turbo estate, but it had a mighty thirst when towing at speed (12 -14 mpg). Mind you, it was a very large, powerful car and towing c2000lb with a frontal area 7 feet square at 60-70 mph is bound to take its toll!

Steve

Reply to
Steve Shuttleworth

Yeah both should do it, though for towing I'd lean towards the RWD 940.

Reply to
James Sweet

agreed....rwd would be better than fwd when slightly "overloaded".......my 92 240 wagon pulled my 20 foot boston whaler back from the east coast @ 55mph...boat & trailer weiged in at aprox 3,500 about what the wagon weighed.....

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^