Whine coming from '97 960

I recently purchased a '97 960 (62,700 mi). Today, I noticed a whinning sound when I accelerated. It wasn't a very high pitched shrill , but more like a hair dryer. From inside the car, it seemed to come from the passengers side. I could also hear it when I reved the motor while on park, & slightly while sitting at a stoplight. There aren't any abnormal vibrations or shakes & it runs & shifts out very smoothly. Thanks for any help you can give.

SL

Reply to
SL_22

Volvo engines are known to whine a bit at high RPM's, but it should be a silky smooth whine, not a painful howl or anything, you may wanna have someone who's familiar go for a ride with you.

Reply to
James Sweet

Hi all

Funny this was posted, i have a strange wine on my 93 440 li 1.6

though it was the alternator belt, but on inspention it seem to come from middle of cylinder head or from back of engine. the sound is more offten heard on damp mornings and usually goes away as i drive.

Reply to
vertuas

Check any idler bearings or tensioner devices for the serpentine belt or timing belt. Also check any bearings in the accessories attached to the serpentine belt. If anything attached to the serpentine belt or timing belt fails, you can pretty much kiss your engine good bye.

- alex

'85 244 Turbo

Reply to
Alex Zepeda

Thanks for the help guys. I took it in yesterday for inspection. The idler pulley was frozen up. They replaced it, the timing belt, & tensioner pulley. Glad that I got it taken care of before any damage was done.

Reply to
SL_22