XC70 Software Update

The volvo service department has recommended we upgrade our software in our XC70. What's up with that. They want $150.00 which seems excessive to me. I have never heard of this on any other car I have owned. Thanks for your help

Reply to
bannerweld

It could be worse. The thing could run on Windows and then you would need an insurance rider for all the other types of crashes you would be having! ;-) "I'll be home a little late, Dear. I had to reboot the car in safe mode." I have read that the OBD-III(?) systmes will be set so tha tthey monitor all the various parameters, in essence doing a smog check whenever it is running, and all the test station will have to do is plug into the test socket and read the data to ensure that the car passes smog. At that point the state (depending on where you live, of course) could REQUIRE you to get the updates to conform to the pollution laws. All of a sudden my 1948 Chrysler is looking pretty good! ;-)

But seriously, it does seem that $150 to update a system that evidently was not up to par to begin with (otherwise, why the update?) is a bit excessive and does nothing to insure that you ar a return customer. How much better would it have been to either include it as part of the routine servicing of the car, of invite you in to view the new models, give you a cup of coffee, and update the car while you wait. There is an awsul lot of good will and free PR that can b done in such a way, and it seems like an opportunity lost.

How much more valuable to Volvo would it have been if you were able to post: "I just got back from my dealer and they told me that there was an update to my cars operating systm that enhanced [fill in here] and they did it for free."?

And, yes, I use to do customer service (in a bicycle shop).

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

Upgrades can be expensive, however if they are emission related they should be covered under the emission warranty (10yr unlimited mileage, I think). You did not mention if you brought your vehicle into the dealer for a specific problem. Just for future reference, if you have to have your throttle module replaced, along with the ETM download an ECM upgrade may be in order. Do not let them sell you an ETM upgrade at that time. the most current software is included in the ETM down load.

Reply to
Ron

Well after I spent 30mins on the phone with almost everyone in the service dept. It was finally concluded the software would not be needed unless an check eng light came on and then it would be required but covered under warranty. They suggested I get a jump on the problem, at a cost of $150.00,which may never occur by downloading the upgrade now. They did replace the ETM and download the upgrade for that unit then. They said it was separate from the ECM upgrade they suggested. The funny thing was no one could tell me just what the upgrade benefited or replaced. I have to conclude that most Volvo owners just go blindly down whatever path the dealer tells them to and pays the price.

Reply to
bannerweld

Hmmm... you could do something that forced the check engine light to come on (like disconnect the AMM, start the car, reconnect the AMM- not sure about that car, so check with the group to see what they say), have the dealer check it under warranty, and then they would do the upgrade.

If the update is necessary it should be covered by the emissions control warranty. If it isn't necessary, why did they tell you about it? SOmeone at Volvo needs a good dope slap to the cranium.