Tank leak

Hi - has anyone come across this one? A couple of years ago I filled up the

850 saloon with petrol ready for the holiday. On returning home I could smell petrol and checked under the car. I noticed a leak and luckily my mechanic was able to see to the car immediately. On investigation, the leak was seen to be caused by the screw ring on top of the tank which has all the feed pipes in it and which holds the fuel sensor in place. it had become completely undone. He tightened this and all was well. On filling up a couple of days ago exactly the same problem. Is this a recurrent fault with the 850 and is there any modification that anyone knows of. I intend to have this checked as a service point and it may be as well if others take this problem into account. I Know there was a service recall in the states on the tank but for the area round the heat shield not from the top. Also neither the ring nor the tank are cracked. Any comments gratefully accepted. - regards, Roy
Reply to
Roy Bolton

I would recommend replacing the ring and related seals (if there are any- not just tightening. Check to see that the replacement seals are alcohol resistant/proof and from fresh stock. Le the mechanic know it happened again so that he can check with any recall/update notices from Volvo as well as possibly using some sort of locking safety device to keep it in place. Maybe Locktite has a suitable thread locking compound for this application. I also wonder if the mechanic has the proper tool to tighten the lock ring- If it is a Volvo shop he probably does... Maybe it was not properly tightened last time, but since this is the second time there seems to be a problem, and one of great concern.

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

Retighten it, then wire it in place so it can't work loose again. Replacing the gasket as has been suggested elsewhere would be a good idea as well.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston