XC701999 Rear Noise

I have started noticing a creak or groan from my rear end (vehicle ;-) ) whenever one rear wheel is higher than another (speed bumps etc.) Car has

56K miles. Suggestions? Roger Habeck
Reply to
Roger Habeck

Hi, Roger - - -

At least into the 98 models, there was an ongoing problem with the spring saddles in the rear of the wagons, XC's in particular. This was a matter of the saddle not being installed in proper orientation to the spring, so it made an assortment of noises, some under the conditions you mention.

Not having experienced the problem on our 98 XC, I didn't need to pursue the matter and so don't know what was required to make a "for sure" diagnosis and to resolve it. It seems to me that if you have access to a portable ramp (such as for oil changes), raising just one side might tell you something - your trusted assistant backing up onto the ramp whilst you listen for the noise from along side the vehicle. I believe that this was a situation addressed by Volvo via their Tech letters to Dealers. You might inquire of your friendly Dealer . . .

bob noble Reno, NV, USA

Reply to
Bob Noble