Question for Bad Raptor about suspension noise

Reading through your Focus 2001 Tsb List (Thanks for Your Posting) I noticed that my 2001 Focus SE Station Wagon has one of the symptoms as follows

03-20-02 a.. SUSPENSION - CREAKING, CRUNCHING, GRINDING OR RATTLE NOISE FROM FRONT SUSPENSION AT SLOW SPEEDS OVER BUMPS AND/OR WHILE TURNING b.. NOISE - CREAKING, CRUNCHING, GRINDING OR RATTLE NOISE FROM FRONT SUSPENSION AT SLOW SPEEDS OVER BUMPS AND/OR WHILE TURNING

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- Do you Know what the the answer to the above symptoms are. Mine has a severe crunch or grind when going over a speed bump a little fast.

Thanks

Ray

Reply to
Ray

Badraptor should blast me for doing this, but my '87 Shadow and '93 Caravan both did this. Creaks and groans a-plenty. I sprayed WD-40 all over the place under there until things quieted down. I follow the "if it works, don't fix it" rule If it's a shock absorber is not 'absorbing shocks' anymore, then I'm willing to replace it. Both cars still have the orig. equip. still. Even the Shadow's stainless steel exhaust sys. (w/new muffler) too. Now that's longevity !

Reply to
John Doe

Reply to
badraptor

ACTION: If the vehicle exhibits a front end creaking, crunching, grinding and/or rattling noise from the front suspension while driving at slow speeds and/or while turning. Follow the repair procedure below.

SERVICE PROCEDURE 1.. Inspect front strut fasteners, confirm that they are tightened to the correct torque. 1.. Front strut to front knuckle, (1 driver / 1 passenger), 90N-m (66.5 lb-ft). 2.. Front strut mount to body, (3 driver / 3 passenger), 30N-m (22 lb-ft). 3.. Front strut rod to strut mount, (1 driver / 1 passenger), 55N-m (40.5 lb-ft). NOTE: ANY MEASUREMENT OF TORQUE MUST BE DONE IN THE TIGHTENING DIRECTION.

NOTE: IN ORDER TO APPLY THE PROPER TORQUE TO THE FRONT STRUT ROD TO STRUT MOUNT FASTENER, A HEX KEY WILL BE REQUIRED TO HOLD THE STRUT ROD IN PLACE WHILE TIGHTENING THE NUT.

2.. Inspect for loose stabilizer bar end links. 1.. Firmly grasp the links and shake them - both along the direction of the link and transverse to the link orientation in the inboard/outboard vehicle direction. If looseness is felt continue on to Step 2B, if looseness is not felt continue on to Step 3. 2.. Inspect the link end joints. If they do not appear severely corroded, tighten the nuts (use anti-rotation feature to prevent ball joint damage) to 50N-m (36 lb-ft), and repeat step 2A. If links still feel loose after tightening or if the joint shows evidence of severe corrosion, replace the link (YS4Z-5K484-AA). 3.. For 2000-2001 vehicles, inspect for the spring contacting the upper spring seat, due to the spring's rubber sleeve being out of position. If the sleeve is out of position continue on to Step 3A, if the sleeve is positioned properly continue on to Step 4. 1.. To service the noise condition, install a new Rubber Sleeve Part Number (1S4Z-8484-AA). Remove the original sleeve, then install a new rubber sleeve starting from the top of the spring coil where it contacts the spring plate. The sleeve will eliminate the rub condition between the spring seat and the coil spring. 4.. If the noise is present while turning then continue on to Step 4A, otherwise continue normal Noise Vibration Harness (NVH) diagnosis. 1.. Remove the strut(s), inspect for misalignment of the upper strut bearing. If the bearing is misaligned it should be removed and replaced with service stock Part Number YS4Z-18198-AAA (refer to Workshop Manual Section 204-01: Front Suspension, Disassembly and Assembly, Strut and Spring Assembly). It is not necessary to replace the strut and/or the rubber top mount. Seat the new bearing into the existing rubber top mount and place the mount/bearing assembly onto the existing strut.

PART NUMBER PART NAME YS4Z-5K484-AA Stabilizer Bar End Link 1S4Z-8484-AA Sleeve - Coil Spring YS4Z-18198-AAA Upper Strut Bearing

"Ray" wrote in message news:UEUzb.566019$9l5.446335@pd7tw2no...

Reply to
badraptor