'01 Passat wagon, rear door dummy "lock cylinder housing" wants to fall out.

My GF has an '01 Passat wagon. On the driver's side rear door, what the service manual calls the "lock cylinder housing" wants to fall out. Except that she has keyless entry, so there's no lock cylinder in the rear doors, and so it's a dummy plug and there's no screw in the door jamb that would hold a real lock cylinder in place. I can't figure out what held it in, other than a very little friction. Maybe there was a clip inside.

Anybody know what held it in?

Thanx Chuck Tribolet snipped-for-privacy@garlic.com

Reply to
Chuck Tribolet

and there's

was a clip inside.

Yes. A circlip. It may have broken or slipped out. Look for a groove in the housing. You can make one if you are clever from a bit of soft brass or hard plastic of the correct thickness. Just getting it in requires 10" double-jointed fingers and three hands.

Failing that, and if it is truly a dummy... a bit of RTV Silicon will hold it in place without it being overly permanent.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

It wasn't a circlip. It was a rather complex stamping (German overengineering) that would bayonet to lock in the "lock cyinder housing". There's a screw (hidden under the rubber moulding) that turns it. Best guess is that when she had that side of the car painted after a vandalism, the body shop removed the door handle (and housing) to paint, and forgot to tighten the screw when they put it back together. The screw was in the all the way loose position when I disassembled things. And the missing piece was hiding in the bottom of the door.

BTW, if you go in there, pull out the door latch mechanism.

has keyless

plug and there's

was a clip inside.

Reply to