Passat cutting out

Hi

Ive got a problem with my Passat, every morning when I slow down at a junction or go to stop, the revs will dip and go straight down to zero and the engine will cut out. It does this about 4-8 times until the engine is warm (i think) where there revs will still dip alot and bounce between

1200-400 rpm but it wont cut out. Ive been told it might be the MAF, any other things i could try looking at?? The car is a 1999 ( T reg ) 1.6 and done 46000miles.

Thanks

Yas

Reply to
Yassir Rashid

dave

Replace the distributor cap and rotor. Use Bosch parts. Also, try cleaning the throttle body and EGR valve with throttle body cleaner. Check vacuum lines for splits and tears.

Pray to God that its not the MAF! My dealer here in San Antonio (Rod East VW) last week scanned my engine controller and came up with two codes, one pointing to the MAF ($480) and one pointing to the engine speed sensor (on the distributor). Luckily it turned out to be the distributor cap and rotor. They tried a new MAF, but it didn't fix the problem (engine cutting out in warm, humid weather). Cap and rotor did the trick.

Engine scan was $74. Rotor and cap plus labor was another $60. Total around $144

Reply to
Bob F.

OK thanks for replying, did you replace the throttle body or can you just clean it or something??

Reply to
Yassir Rashid

Reply to
dave

Thanks for that info i will have ago at doing what you suggested. Where about would i find the throttle body???

Reply to
Yassir Rashid