02 Passat headrest - broken

Anyone have any insight on how to lower a headrest with a broken release button? The button has fallen out and I tried to use a screwdriver to hit a catch but it won't respond. I will take it in soon but I want to get it all the way down to make it drivable for my wife in the interim. Thanks, S Neal

Reply to
Stephen Neal

Unless your wife is really short (like sub 5ft or so) short, this headrest problem shouldn't be a driveability issue. The headrest should contact the back of your head if you lean back... it's probably fine if even the lower potion of the cushion touches her head for the time being, just angle it differently (it swivels). If this is purely a comfort issue, and she isn't used to having a headrest touching her head (if this is the case, then never buy a Volvo, they are fixed to the seat and come in contact with a lot of your head and neck), and likes it near the neck... well then tell her she will suffer bad whiplash if she gets in an accident, that is why headrests go up high, to touch the back of peoples head. I'm 6 ft, and I have the thing fully jacked up, my 5ft tall mother has driven my car, and she only needs to lower it to 1/2 to be perfectly comfortable, but can live with it at full extension.

The proper position for the headrest is so the top of it comes close the the top of your head, and the back of your skull should be about 1-3" from the cushion while driving (I would imagine if your head was on it it would be fine as well...)

Can the button not be poped back in?... If not, look at the shape of the button, take a look at the mechanism of it, try to get something that can replicate what the button does.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Have you tried taking the headrest back to the dealership? It should still be under warranty! You did say you have a 2002 Passat so the warranty is 2 years! The 2003 models started having the 4 year/50,000 mile warranty, I believe, but could be mistaken. I may have started with the 2002 model!

Mz

Reply to
Mz

The 4/50K warranty began in 2002.