1989 Golf - vacuum leak in a check valve?

Hi

I've been reading through some of the previous posts which have enabled me to trace a problem with the brake servo and rough running on my '89 Golf. Thanks !

The clutch cable has worn through a blanking cap on a unused spare feed on what looks like a check valve in the vacuum line to the brake servo.

Plugging the hole under the blanking cap cures the problem.

Does anyone know what this 'check valve' is, what it does and a part number ? Or pointers to a relevent website.

Thanks

John

Reply to
Daytona

Spot on, it is indeed a check valve.

The brake booster operate from engine vacuum. Problem is, engine vacuum varies quite a bit. On wide open throttle there is very little vacuum, when the engine is off there is none whatsoever. The check valve is there to make sure air does not leak into the booster when there is little or no engine vacuum, i.e. it maintains a vacuum in the booster.

That part is probably cheap enough that you can get it at the dealer without breaking the bank. The parts guy at my dealership is more than happy to come out and peek under the hood if he can't easily find the part on ETKA.

Another alternative is the junk yard. Don't restrict your search to A2 Golfs, with that type of fairly generic you should look under the hood of any VW or Audi you can find, regardless of vintage.

Reply to
Randolph

Thanks Randolph !

Reply to