1991 VW POLO- DROAN FROM BACK

Hi, i hope someone may be able to help with locating a problem with my polo. When you get to about 35-40mph a droaning noise developes from the rear of the car. at 40+ it starts to fade but at 55-60mph it comes back very loud. I am wondering if it could be a wheel bearing as pre the last MOT test I tightened down the wheels to eliminate a little slack that was evident. If any of you can help I'd appreciate IT. Many thanks Richard.

Reply to
richard

Hi, i hope someone may be able to help with locating a problem with my polo. When you get to about 35-40mph a droaning noise developes from the rear of the car. at 40+ it starts to fade but at 55-60mph it comes back very loud. I am wondering if it could be a wheel bearing as pre the last MOT test I tightened down the wheels to eliminate a little slack that was evident. If any of you can help I'd appreciate IT. Many thanks Richard.

Reply to
richard

Sounds like rear wheel bearings... What do you mean by '...tightened down the wheels...'? The fact that it occurs at multiples of the 30-40 MPH really does point to wheel bearings. Check your Fourier Transforms again ;-)

Bearings may be too tight, or worn.

By mentioning MoT, am I right in guessing you're based in the UK?

Cheers

T.A.

Reply to
The Admiral

My liftshare's 93 Polo has done this twice, and both times it was wheel bearing wear. If it happens on one side, and a change cures it, then the other side will complain fairly soon after! The MOT stations do not seem to like the amount of play you get when correctly adjusting VW rear wheel bearings. Not enough play to fail them, but enough for them to grumble about it.

Reply to
Laurence D'Auvin