1993-1999 VW odometer roll over

Looking for written documentation from a manual or something which indicates that the odometer on a 1997 Jetta sold in Canada, built in Mexico I believe, roll over to 0 at 300,000 kilometers. VW North America will not provide the specifications for their equipment. I purchased a 1997 diesel Jetta in April which was advertised on eBay as having only 90,000km while in fact it really has 390,000km. This is a clear act of fraud. The third party insurance provided by eBay motors say they will honour the claim if I can provide documentation. Help Frank

Reply to
ffawson

Looking for written documentation from a manual or something which indicates that the odometer on a 1997 Jetta sold in Canada, built in Mexico I believe, roll over to 0 at 300,000 kilometers. VW North America will not provide the specifications for their equipment. I purchased a 1997 diesel Jetta in April which was advertised on eBay as having only 90,000km while in fact it really has 390,000km. This is a clear act of fraud. The third party insurance provided by eBay motors say they will honour the claim if I can provide documentation. Help Frank

Reply to
ffawson

Frank,

I discovered about a year ago that digital odometers are easier to roll back than the old ones. (You can tell mine is honest because it says 180k) It turns out Germany allows odometer tampering "for testing purposes", so there are websites that offer for $30-100 to have you mail your instrument cluster to them and they will send it back with mileage of your choosing. If you haven't done this already, maybe you could have a clever mechanic check and see if the instrument cluster has been removed/fooled around with?

I too am curious about whether odometers that use miles instead of km turn over at 300k or ~186k, since my car can toggle back and forth.

Reply to
Keith Loyd

".. in fact it really has 390,000km"

How do you know this is true? If you have evidence that it has more than the miles indicated when sold, why would the odometer reading be important?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan