Jeep roll over

It hasn't happened to me yet, but what was wondering what happens to your Jeep after a rollover on the trail. Once you get it winched back over is it good to drive right away? What things need to be looked at. What happens to all the engine fluids when an engine is tipped 90 degrees? Just wondering. Thanks.

Greg

Reply to
jerryg

I have had the rubber side up twice. Both times on the driver's side and both times the Jeep had to be left, once for 12 and once for 24 hours. (pre-winch, second was a 10 mile hike in 3' of snow at midnight) Both times she started right up after getting back upright.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)Hughes III

What they did after I rolled was 1) help me out and make sure I was ok. 2) turn the Jeep back over on its wheels. 3) pull the plugs and crank it over and blow the oil out. 4) verify what fluids leaked and that it was only because I was on my side at that point. I would have been ok at that point, except for the fact that it broke the seal on the radiator and we had to keep putting water in it every little while. Oh, and 5) pull the fenders out where they were smashed into the tires, and 6) pull all the crap that spilled out of the Jeep back in it. Took months to find all the tools that had been in the glove box, as the all fell into the area under the dash. I blew blue smoke for a good part of the day too.

How much you need to do depends on if it was a true roll, what side you laneded on, how long it was over for, etc. A gentle flop on your side doesnt require much. A full on wheels in the air can be pretty bad on the engine.

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

In 1982 or so a tractor rolled over in the apple orchard I worked in. The drivers pulled it upright, straightened out the steering wheel, and pulled it with another tractor until it started. They drove it into the garage blowing blue smoke that smelled of antifreeze. Hell of a thing to do during harvest time. The foreman drove to Richmond (~200 miles) to get an engine for it. Next day I had it running.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton