1996 Jetta wiring harness repair possible?

Hi, I've found a 1996 Jetta for sale locally with the asking price of

1,000.00. Sounds great, but there is a problem (isn't there always a problem?)

The car hasn't run since a fire under the driver's side of the dash caught fire. The seller says he really doesn't know what happened... but he put the fire out with his foot. He took it to his mechanic, and the mechanic told him he needs a new wiring harness.

I just replaced the wiring harness on my daughter's car. It was annoying, but I did it.

I really would like to try the repair, and the Jetta looks decent. It has about 114k of highway miles, is a stick,and the body is fine.

My question is .. should I give it a go? Does it sound like a monster problem and stay away?

Thanks in advance for suggestions/advice!

Larry

remove nospam from my address in reply, please......

Reply to
larrynospam.raynor

It depends on how much damage was done by the fire and where. Anything is possible, but it may be a lot easier to replace the whole thing. VW is not known for their great wiring reliability and trying to repair it may be a harder than expected.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

And buy it cheaper than $1000! Maybe $400 and that may be too high. You could probably part it out if you had to to recoupe any money you have in it. JMHO dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Fire under driver's side of dash = fusebox area. it's a nightmare. yeah you can attempt it but have you ever seen under there? it's a spaghetti mess when it hasn't burned and i'm sure it's even worse if wiring has burned.

Reply to
Matt B.

I wouldn't pay anywheres near $1K unless maybe maybe if it is in immaculate shape otherwise. If it looks anything like my 96, I would agree with dave's $400 (or less).

Reply to
Jeff