2003 Passat 1.8T Wagon

The sudden death of my '94 Volvo on Monday requires the purchase of a car this week. I am to take delivery of an '03 Passat 1.8T Wagon with 34k miles and a clean Carfax history on Thursday.

Among other design features, we chose the Passat because of the shape of the cargo area as compared to other wagons on the market.

Now I am seeing and hearing complaints of the Passat. One nationally syndicated auto reviewer even suggested to run from any used VW. A co-worker detailed his bad experience with the '03 1.8T model specifically, saying something about repeatedly failing piston coils (whatever those are). There are the obvious common caomplaints regarding the overheating seat heaters (we don't use those in Georgia), but also the fact that Consumer Reports placed the VW's on their list of "used cars to avoid".

I have always liked VW's, as my first car was a Westy. They have great design and performance for the price. I don't want to believe any of the bad things I am hearing, but must face these demons before Thursday. So I put it to VW owners and afficianados:

Would you make this purchase? What might I be in for in terms of repairs? I already know I am buying the 125k miles extended factory warranty, but what should I really expect of my liffe with this car?

Reply to
THX 1138

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (THX 1138) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I've usually seen them called "coil packs", but there's one per cylinder for the engine's ignition system. A while back there was a run of bad ones from some VW supplier affecting some '01, '02 and early '03 cars. They were (or should have been) replaced in a recall.

Mine ('02 wagon) don't do that, but when it's cold enough to use them, I probably wouldn't complain :-)

But wasn't the Passat their "family sedan" of choice for a number of years?

I have an early '02 1.8T GLS wagon and have had no problems with it.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

I would be more concerned about possible oil sludge issues.

VW has recently changed it's policy and now requires only synthetic oil for the 1.8T engines. This happened after a number of US based VWs developped sluging issues due to the dyno oil that (perhaps) was not changed regularly. If you can have the engine checked for sludge.

The ignition coils should have the 7 years 70,000 miles extended waranty on them and were recalled by VW.

Overall the reliability will be so-so. Allocate some budget for the immediate maintenance and repairs.

You should be getting a very goog price on the used 2003. The left-over new 2005 Passats were going for about 19K just a few weeks ago. I would not pay anything above 11K-12K

Bert Hyman wrote:

Reply to
Alex

May not be a bad car, BUT, the general consensus is: Dealership customer service sucks. Volkswagen customer care is a joke. Check out:

John H

I have a 1998 1.8T Saloon ('sedan' for those on the wrong side of the pond.....) - currently showing 148,000 miles - it still drives like a new one.

Reply to
SteveH

You'll want to have a good independent mechanic lined up for this make and model, before you need him/her. VWs have a lot of "fun to drive" factor, but that comes at the expense of repair and maintenance. But the Passat is one of the more reliable VWs (relatively speaking).

That said, I recently bought my third VW, a used 2003 GLS 1.8T with 19K miles, earlier this year. My first Rabbit went to 160K miles before I lost track of it. My (purchased new) 1995 Passat VR6 went 10 years and 110K miles before I recently sold it. Only major failures on the 95 were a clutch slave cylinder and 25K (warranty), a starter last year and a heater core leak this year (which VW covered all parts and labor--on a 10 year old car!).

VW dealers can be hit-or-miss. I've had good luck with mine, but some have not with the same dealer and other dealers. But you'll get better service from an indy shop anyway--make finding one high on your list. The good thing about these cars is that someone who works on them will know most of the issues and can do a pretty fast diagnosis and repair. But VWs are not Toyotas or Hondas, or even Fords, as far as reliability goes.

By 2003, the B5/B5.5 models pretty much had all the major bugs worked out of them. An abused 1.8T could have a sludge problem, if the oil was not changed regularly. Have the oil pressure checked, switch it to one of the VW 502-approved synthetic oils and the larger filter, and keep with a 5K mile oil and filter change interval. Other issues with this car include cracking of the small braided vacuum hoses (replace with silicone hoses), warping of rear brake rotors, minor head gasket leaks at the rear of the motor, control arms, and oil cooler leaks. Changing the timing belt, waterpump, and all pulleys and tensioners around 60-70K is highly recommended-- the belt can fail as early as 80K, and it will bend valves when it does-- a $3K repair. I think the coil pack issues were resolved for the 2003 model year, but these should be covered by VW--I think there was a recall.

There are some good online communities for the B5/B5.5 Passat. Check out:

and

You'll find a lot of people sharing tips, good repair shops, parts sources, etc.

Reply to
CS

Well said! I work on VW's and what did I purchase not wanting to work on mine after a day of fixing VW's??? 99 GLX Passat. The most reliable VW yet!

Reply to
Woodchuck

how to repair push rod

Reply to