1997 Jetta GT - sensor problem? Help!

My 97 Jetta GT is having problems. Backfiring when accellerating or under a load (uphill), lacking power at lower rpms, and while this is happening it makes a sort of putt-putt sound that sounds like it is coming from under/behind the front passenger seat. Much worse in the rain (this tells me "electrical" but when I look under the hood everything seems dry).

I did some basic stuff. Checked the wires, changed the oil and air filter. The air filter was gross, covered with crap blown back from the engine; I'd never seen an air filter dirtier on the engine side than the intake side. Threw in a bottle of dry gas. Helped a little. Not enough.

Took it to a local garage. They did a pressure test - good. Checked plugs and wires (which were only a few months old) - good. Checked the MAF - good. They decided I needed a distributor. To their credit, they told me their supplier wanted $300+ for one and that I could probably find one cheaper, which I did. They put it in yesterday and I picked it up today. Problem not solved. May be even worse, though I think that's probably psychological.

I don't want to take it back to a garage without more information and without trying things myself. I tried disconnecting a couple sensors to see how the engine reacted. Looking down on the engine you have the four spark plugs (I'll call them P1 - P4) and then a sensor just in front of them to either side (I'll call them S1 & S2). They're arranged like this:

P1 P2 P3 P4 S1 S2

What are the two sensors? They look identical but might serve different purposes. When S1 was disconnected the engine ran very rough. When S2 was disconnected it didn't make any difference. Is this normal? Does this mean S2 is bad?

And if so, how does this relate to the symptoms? Why, for instance, is the problem much worse in the rain? Is there anything underneath that's electrical I should check?

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Jim

Reply to
The DPR

Shot in the dark, AKA SWAG:

Are you missing or do you have any damaged ground straps?

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

s1 & s2 are knock sensors. And by unplugging things you are creating fault codes in the ECU. Since you already wasted $$$ on a part that did nothing may I suggest going to a shop that knows VW's? Could be easy as a ignition coil going wacky.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

I second what Lost In Space said. You should mist your ignition coil with a spray bottle of water to see if it arcs. Not sure if your check engine light is on with misfire faults, but from what you've been describing, it does sound to me like a secondary ignition misfire.

Reply to
Madesio

"Worse in rain" strongly suggests some problem along the ignition path: ignition coil, cable to distributor, connections at distributor, cables to spark plugs. As someone else suggested spray a mist of water over these components (preferably in the dark) and watch for arcing spakrs or a change in the engine such a cylinder not firing (rough idle).

I had something similar happen on my 98 Golf, it turned out to be a bad ignition coil and also the ignition cable ends at the distributor.

Reply to
Jem Berkes