1999 Beetle Overheating

OK, so about an hour would put her at my house. Where are you, anyway?

Who ME?? Lost as usual! (03225) Wanna buy a Cabriolet?? Strong clutch, but it does chatter now... ; ) I thinks the inspection hole is designed to catch coolant overflow as it comes out from under the cap! No more of that, now that the fan works(how do you think I found this thread? ) Hoping it will improve (fat chance). Now I'm welding cracked in front exhaust pipe... In2

Reply to
In2hoppn

Well, I was going to offer you my Cabriolet! We got it new in 88, automatic, has about 45K miles on it now. Always stored in the winter, so zero rust, but needs a good cleaning and new paint.

I mostly am having electrical problems right now. Sometimes I try to start it, and don't get anything. Appears the starter is bad, but I've not worked on it yet. (bypassed the neutral safety switch, and the ignition switch, so they are not the problem).

Reply to
PeterD

Experience dictates I buy cheaper than I'd care to insult you with... ; ) Being an automatic is a double whammy for your starter. It's much more difficult to access (although a small club will stab at it from passenger side wheel well if you need to try tapping on it), and it's also gets much more cooked back there. Especially if the heat shield is missing off the exhaust pipe. The small spade connector to the solenoid typically gets corroded. Obvious and easy thing to check out or jumper a hot wire to when it's manual transmission!

Reply to
In2hoppn

I'll have to check that spade connector. Yea, it is a royal PITA to get at, tucked between the engine, firewall, rack, exhaust, and gosh knows what else.

Reply to
PeterD

I have been gone a while it seems.. Had pneumonia ..

The mechanic tried 2 heat sensors. Neither worked .. He said he was going to try something else, forget what he said, but he said he couldn't find whatever it was. He is NOT a VW mechanic .. I haven't driven it in a few weeks .. I think I will this weekend and maybe text Jan Andersen .. he is close by .. maybe I can make an appointment with him .. I don't think my mechanic will be my VW mechanic .. I will leave changing oil and american made cars etc for him ..

These are my 2 best clues ... When the a/c is running the fan comes on every few minutes .. I do NOT have any heat ...

Reply to
'whatever'

I live in Deltona but work in Orlando.

Reply to
'whatever'

My mechanic took forever trying to fix a stall problem .. Jan fixed it in about 5 minutes. He is a aircooled whizzz ... I want my bus back !!

Reply to
'whatever'

1) something is wrong with your fan circuit; if the A/C is running, the fan should be on. period. 2) not having any heat is bad, I assume you have checked coolant level? Changed thermostat? When refilling coolant, fill block through upper rad hose before connecting and filling rad?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel