Request Jetta Purchase Advice

I am looking at a 1987 Jetta Deluxe Diesel 2 door that a guy down the street is considering selling. Runs good, looks fair, 1.8L 5 speed, 210,000 miles. A/C does not work, windows won't roll up or down, and fan switch isn't working. Also, for some reason the wipers run constantly?? However, he tells me this car gets over 40mpg. That beats the heack out of my current 12mpg truck! Could someone advse me what this Jetta may be worth? And anything I should be watching for? I assume the windows cranks and fan are minor repairs, not all that worried about the A/C if it would be a huge expense. This would be my first diesel vehicle. Is the 210,000 miles too high to consider? Or is it OK on a well maintained diesel engine? Any advice will be appreciated!

Thanks! Tim

Reply to
TCottom

My question would be how well maintianed can the engine be if the rest of the vw has all these repairs needed?

Reply to
samstone

Have it checked out BEFORE you buy it. That engine might just keep going and going. ;-)

Part of your decision is what is the owner's asking price? Shhhh but the prices of these seem to be climbing up and up at least here around Chicago. ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Around here too, but that always happens when diesel cost less than gasoline.

Reply to
samstone

Well, it's a 20 year old car so it's going to need some work. And you're going to have to do the work yourself. It would be prohibitively expensive to pay someone else to fix everything that's wrong with it. And it will involve some trips to the junkyard (eg for the window problem) and some investigation as to where to buy good quality parts online. If you are not willing to do the work yourself or don't feel competent to do it, then you should pass up this deal. As far as the diesel engine is concerned, your best bet would be to go to tdiclub.com, vwvortex.com or some other forum where people who own A2 diesels can give you a headsup on problems to look for.

Bill

78 Rabbit...10/77 - 4/02 82 Convertibles(s)...since 93 95 Golf GL...since 11/99 07 Passat 2.0T 06 GTI DSG

Take out the CAT to reply by email

Reply to
William Maslin