300,000 kilometers

My 1986 Jetta GL just rolled over 300,000 kilometers, on the way home from a weekend trip.

While the figure is slightly optimistic due to having not yet replaced the speedometer drive gear after the recent transaxle swap, it's only optimistic by 50 km or so. I'll take it. But now that I'm back I must do something about the speedometer's weird ideas about how fast I'm going, and install a taller 5th gear to be a bit less frantic on the freeway. No problem on either count...

No rust, doesn't burn a drop of oil, starts without fail, easy on gas, passes the annual smog check by a ridiculous margin. Smooth and comfortable on the highway, nimble in the city. All the usual VW attributes.

In other words, a good car.

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "That's a totally illegal, Grid: CN89mg madcap scheme. I like it!" ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - H. Pearce

Reply to
laura halliday

Didn't see a question. Just wondering if there is one regarding the speedometer gear change?

Reply to
Jonny

Congratulations. This is the sort of durability and performance that VW should shoot for in every car.

Reply to
<HLS

Uhhmm is this vehicle gas or diesel

-- johnin

View this thread:

Send from

johnin

Gas, 1.8 litres, SOHC, hydraulic lifters, CIS injection.

This is the mysterious Canada-only MZ engine in the Bentley manual.

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "Que les nuages soient notre Grid: CN89mg pied a terre..." ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - Hospital/Shafte

Reply to
laura halliday

300,000 km = approx 186,411 miles... Not bad, but not exactly remarkable... The 4.0 liter I-6 in the Jeeps often gets over 200K miles and I've even heard of it getting 300K miles before engine work was needed... Mine is at 130K miles and still running strong...
Reply to
Grumman-581

Grumman-581

Jeep engines? This is a VW newsgroup.

It's not every day the most significant digit rolls over on the odometer. Unless my driving habits change in the interim, the next time this happens will be in 2014.

Sorry to have bored you.

I still think the A2 chassis is a sweet spot in many ways: sophisticated enough to be reliable, but simple enough to maintain yourself. Refined enough to not feel like you're driving a tractor, but not so insulated and padded that it feels numb and uninvolving.

No cup holders. Cup holders are for losers. :-) :-)

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "Que les nuages soient notre Grid: CN89mg pied a terre..." ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - Hospital/Shafte

Reply to
laura halliday

My 1986 Jetta GL just rolled over 300,000 kilometers

on the way home from a weekend trip

While the figure is slightly optimistic due to havin

not yet replaced the speedometer drive gear after th recent transaxle swap, it's only optimistic by 50 k or so. I'll take it. But now that I'm back I must d something about the speedometer's weird idea about how fast I'm going, and install a taller 5th gea to be a bit less frantic on the freeway. No proble on either count..

No rust, doesn't burn a drop of oil, starts without fail

easy on gas, passes the annual smog check by ridiculous margin. Smooth and comfortable on th highway, nimble in the city. All the usual VW attributes

In other words, a good car

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "That's a totally illegal

Grid: CN89mg madcap scheme. I like it! ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - H. Pearc

-- jonyguitar

View this thread:

Send from

jonyguitar

count your blessings, you have one "can "in a million that was not designed to fail...i turned 300,000 on a GL with every conceivable mechanical and electrical failure that had real good vw wrenches wondering what was wrong, and I know of a dozen or so owners that dumped the cars after thousands of dollars in repairs did not end their perpetual nitemares...vw mfg. thought they could get away with massively flawed technology and did...this is not your grandfathers porsche....way way less thought , dependability or performance....just take a look at the numbers in junk yards all over america that should tell you how successful this line is...and still 25 yrs later...open recalls for problems so numerous and so hazardous that the US Govt. mandated vw to comply...think about it....and know that dealerships all over the place will not take vw's of any yr in for trade...no resale value and way more headaches than they want to deal with on return service calls.....at least you own a porsche when it breaks and you fix it....when the japs were using the first ECCS command systems on 1987 lines ..VW was using dark ages wiring resembling Fred Flinstones ride, in their cars...just pull down a fuse box and take a look...you'll see what i'm talking about!most of the indy garage wrenches love these cars because it means return business...lots of it...up your shaft VW, your vision blows big time!...any consumer report numbers will back these allegations and insults to the wall!....take a look and forget the"love affair"with these cars....you'll pay over and over again in the long run!...unless you're just lucky...ill take may chances in Vegas...at least ill get the chance to count cards....not blessings

[...]

Laura sounds like you have done a good job at maintainin

your " V.W." i mean its not every day you see someone"s car with 300,oookms especially on that make of vehicle. it served you well by returning such high mileage " CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!" ;

-- johnin

View this thread:

Send from

johnin