'85 Jetta (Gas) fails NOx Emmissions inspection

Just took my '85 Jetta for the required Oregon emissions inspections - and it failed the NOx test with a measurement of 4.78 g/mi which is over the state limit of 3.70 g/mi.

My first thought was - a bad EGR valve. But it doesn't have an EGR valve. My second thought was maybe I had the wrong spark plugs or incorrect gap or bad timing, making the combustion temp "hotter". But my spark plugs are Bosch Platinum WR7DP with a gap of .032 and the timing is 6 BTDC, just as it should be.

Any ideas ???

The other emissions are well within spec - CO is 11.2 g/mi (Max=32.0), THC is 0.94 g/mi (Max=2.00)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

- FM -

Reply to
Fred Mau

Hows the cat?

Reply to
Biz

read here, it is interesting :-)

and here

the potential causes of non-compliant NOx readings are:Misfire condition Malfunctioning or improperly adjusted EGR valve (N/A IN YOUR CASE) Failed oxygen sensor Leak in exhaust tubing upstream of converter Excessive carbon deposits in combustion chamber Improper spark advance Blocked coolant passage Overly lean air-fuel mixture Damaged cold air duct Corroded or damaged engine sensor electrical connections

Plugs could be Bosch WR7DCs or WR7DTCs(?) gapped at 0.028". Check the FI seals for leakage.

dave