Buying our 3rd VW!/GLI comments?

We'll be adding a 3rd VW to our stable to sit alongside my 2002 GTi 1.8T and my mother's 2004 Touraeg V8. It's a 2005 Jetta GLI 6-speed, we're very excited. Any input from GLI owners would be appreciated. Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

One lucky family!

Reply to
Woodchuck

=) I like to think so. The GLI is going to be my brother's 18th birthday present, I'm only hopin that occasionally he'll trade with me for the day and let me drive it. I was in the unfortunate position of needing a car right away, and could not wait the mere 6 weeks that seperate the purchasing of my GTi and the release of the 337 Edition. I love my car, but I covet the 6-speed, among other additions the 337 had. Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

I want a Touareg... PLEASE adopt me!

Reply to
Woodchuck

Reply to
Rob Guenther

We love it so far, it's only 3 weeks old. My mother originally wanted a Cayenne S but decided she liked the Touraeg's interior better, she thinks it's "less masculine". My dad has been driving his 4Runner so we have a Lexus RX300 that nobody is driving, I don't think mom will give up the new car but you could drive the Lexus. ;-) Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

Well, sticker price on the car here in California is around 25k or just below that, and the dealer is going to give us a nice discount because this will be our 3rd car from them in less than 3 years, and we just got the Touraeg 3 weeks ago. Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Your mother has a good eye, the Touaregs' interior is quite superior to the Porsche interior.... I could barely figure out how to tune the radio when that thing was at rest, the VW was fairly intuitive to use any control... and it all looked nicer... more like a luxury car... I'm sure the Porsche is faster and better in turns, but who cares... who drives these things at

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Does it have the sport cloth seats like my GTi or the Recaro seats that are in the GLI? Other than the seats, the interior is more or less identicle to any other Jetta's. Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

I believe they are sport cloth... The black cloth around the edges of the seats, and the bolsters (beefed up from stock) is a heavier duty cloth compared to the velour on the normal cars.. and the inserts are dark grey/off white in a mesh style pattern... Same style front and rear... There seems to be a thigh support extension compared to a regualr Jetta, front and rear as well.

Nowhere on the seat is the name "Recaro" embossed or stiched in.

It's liks a normal GTI interior I believe... not GLI

The Interior is more or less identical, yes - you get a 3 spoke leather wrapped wheel - leather gear knob (and surround - unless it's good vinyl), and a leather covered hand brake lever.

Comes with ESP and curtain airbags standard... only option is paint colour (dark grey, silver, and burgundy) and sunroof.

You get special 16" alloy wheels as well, my friend swapped these for the

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Yea, based on what you said they seem like the same seats that came in my GTi. I'm not sure the GLI seats actually say "Recaro" on them but they are Recaro seats and are much more "race like" and supportive than my GTi's.

I thought all VW's had standard curtain airbags, all the ones at my dealer have them. ESP became optional on the GTI in 2003, I wasn't aware that it was standard anywhere in VW's lineup.

The sunroof in my car came as part of the Premium package that also includes the Monsoon sound system, that's the only way to get the sunroof in U.S. spec Golfs and Jettas AFAIK.

My 2002 GTI came with 16-inch BBS rims as standard, which were completely different than the ones that prior MKIV GTis had and different from what the

337 and Anniversary editions got later. The VR6 came with 17s, which I could have had fitted to my car if I wanted, I liked the 16s better. I've noticed that the 16-inch GTi rims changed again for 2003 but I believe 2004 models have the same rims 2003s did. The 17s have stayed the same AFAIK. The GLI has 18-inch BBS rims which are great, but they aren;t the same as the 18-inch BBS rims that came on the W8 Passat or what's being used on the R32. I like them. All in all, the GLI's added parts (bigger brakes, suspension upgrades, 18-inch rims with uprated tires, recaro seats, body kit, etc...) would cost around $10k USD in the aftermarket but the sticker is only $3k higher than my GTI's sticker was.

The GLI's rims and body-kit are avaliable through VW's "Driver" catalog and will fit any Jetta. I was kind of toying with the idea of buying a Jetta TDI, throwing the GLI rims and bodykit on it, putting the "R" steering wheel (from the R32) and R shift knob inside and then putting uprated tires and an H&R cup kit on it. It certainly wouldn't be a drag racer but it would look fantastic and handle really well, plus get great mileage. Although I'd still miss the Recaro seats and a fully loaded TDI (with leather seats, etc..) will run me close to $26k USD plus the add-ons, at that point I think I'd just put up with the 1.8T's lower gas mileage and get a GLI. Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

I think it's standard on Passats now? I'm pretty sure it was standard on the W8 and GLX 4Motion, at least. And I'd imagine it's standard on the Phaeton.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

AFAIK it's standard on all U.S. spec. VW's and has been for 2 or 3 years at least. It's not avaliable as an optional add-on when building a car on VW's website. But I got them in my 2002 GTi, my mother got them in her 2004 Touraeg, they're in the 2005 GLI we're looking at and they're in a used 2001 Jetta GLS and a new 2005 Jetta GLS that two of my cousins bought. And both models are fairly "un-optioned" 2.0s. It also seems that every model my dealer has: Jetta, Passat, Golf/GTI, Touraeg, Pheaton and New Beetle has the curtain airbags. Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

"Them"? I was talking about ESP, not curtain airbags. Yes, AFAIK curtain airbags are standard on all VWs.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Ohhhhh. I know that ESP is optional on GTIs starting with 2003 models and it came standard on our Touraeg. Not sure about the Passat. Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman