85 VW gas hydrolock symptoms.

I've posted about this 85 with starting problems before, and I'm still trying stuff to get it to act like it did when I first bought it (tuen the key and start). It's still not starting right. I'm wondering if there's a way for gas to continue flowing into the engine after the car is shut down?

Reason I ask, is that every once in a while, when I go to start the car after it's sat overnight, it acts like it's hydrolocked. The starter sounds normal, but the engine seems to resist turning for a bit, and then cranks over. When it does start, I have to rev it up, like clearing it from being flooded.

Like I've said before, I've put new o-rings on the injectors, replaced the cold-start timer, checked out both fuel pumps, replaced the fuel accumulator and changed out the fuel filter.

Could this be a fuel distributor problem?

TIA,

Pat

Reply to
PatAL7L

before starting it you could take out the spark plugs, disable the ignition and crank over the engine. Post results.

you may have a bad starter or battery or battery/cable connections.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Have you removed the injectors to review spray pattern and residual drip test? Procedure is in your Bentley repair manual or your Bosch Fuel Injection by Probst book. Good investment in either but the Bentley covers the whole car.

If it sounds resistant to turn over you need to look at the starter, battery and cables. The sputter after it starts is probably leaky injectors. There is no way you could hydro lock unless your fuel pumps kept running after you turned off the car and the injectors were leaking. The amount of residual pressure and fuel is pretty nil. Enough to cause sputter but not enough to hydro lock. If it was leaking that bad your oil level would be rising as the crankcase filss with fuel.

I have had start>I've posted about this 85 with starting problems before, and I'm still

Reply to
Jim Behning

Start running premium. I'm not kidding. Sometimes we forget that the owner's manual calls for 89 octane gas (plus).

Reply to
Ears

I'm curious. How do you check the spray pattern and drip test without a bench tester???? I just bought rebuilt injectors from Rock Auto at a VERY reasonable price and they've been fine for 40K miles. I have a 97 jetta 2.0. There is no way to clean the FPR on it or even see a screen. Things must of really changed from 85 to 97. Sounds like for the worst.

Reply to
631grant

nah your '97 2.0 FI system is good! Definitely different than the '85 FI system though.

If it ain't broke.....don't fix it! lol Use some FI cleaner like SeaFoam once in awhile and buy good gas from a good gas station. Enjoy!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1
85 is CIS. You turn on the fuel pump after you inserted each injector in it's own bottle. Lift up the air flow sensor plate. Injectors start to sing. Lift it up some more and look at pattern. Measure flow injector to injector by spraying about 4 oz in relatively small bottles. Release air flow sensor. Turn off fuel pump. dry injectors and look for drips. Much easier to do basic testing on CIS.

My Toyota is 21 years old. I have tossed the injectors in a ultrasonic cleaner. Other than that I have done nothing to the injection system but adjust the throttle plate sensor, replace the air flow sensor and change the fuel filter about 7 times less than I should. CIS required a bit more love but that could be because the second Rabbit was grossly neglected before I bought it.

There are a few >I'm curious. How do you check the spray pattern and drip test without a

Reply to
Jim Behning