87 Golf runs rough on cold start

Hi All, I've just picked up an 87 Golf. The car is really sweet with low miles and zero rust. The only problem is that it misses on acceleration and idles at about 2 -

300 RPM until it warms up (temperature gauge hits mid range) and then it runs like a champ. I've checked all vacuum hoses and all appear to be connected correctly, as well I've replaced the cold start valve and thermo timer switch. Anybody have an idea as to what the problem might be? Its a 2 door auto if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance for your replys. Grant

Reply to
Grant

I just had a similar issue with a 2000 Jetta. Check the condition of the plugs. White= lean or too hot of a plug Black= rich condition Tan= just right Also make sure you have the right plug for the motor. Don't ask how I know that ;)

Reply to
el lobo

I'll assume it's idling at 2-3000? Or is it idling really low? Missing on acceleration could indicate a bad spark plug wire, but I wouldn't expect that to improve as it warms up. Unless something else is changing to help it out.

Do you know if it is CIS or CIS-E?

I would suggest getting the fuel mixture checked/set. That can cause some whacky behavior. Also, inspect your plugs and cap and rotor and maybe replace your wires.

Jason

Reply to
Jason Faas

Thanks Jason and Lobo, The car barely idles at 2 - 300 RPMs and will occasionally die if left on its own. The car just passed the emissions check here in Ontario so from that (and the fact that it runs great when warm) I can assume that the fuel mixture is set correctly. I'll check the plugs,cap,rotor and wires as suggested. What else changes dynamically with temp that would cause these effects? I believe that its a CIS system. Regards

Reply to
Grant