does ford own porsche?

a rather smart "car guy" at work is trying to tell me FORD owns 51% of porsche. Is this true?

Does porsche own VW/AUDI ? If so does that mean FORD owns VW/AUDI?

???

he also says that FORD owns ferrari ????

Reply to
dontbeleivethis

VW/Audi is independent. Ferrari is majority owned by Fiat. Porsche is owned 50% by the Prosche family, 25% by large institutional investors and the remaining 25% spread all over. Go to "Investor Relations" on the Porsche web site to find out this and more. Audi owns Lamborghini.

Ford does own Volvo, Jaguar, Land Rover and Ast>

Reply to
Randolph

NO

NO

NO

Ignore a guy like that.

Reply to
Ernest

I pretty sure Ford owns some/all of these: Volvo, Jaguar, Aston Martin, Mazda, and Land Rover. No, Porsche, though. Many companies own pieces of many other companies... it's a big mess.

Reply to
99 C1V1C

I thought BMW owned Land Rover?

Hmm, how many of these relationships can we come up with?

VWAG owns Audi, Bentley, and Bugatti. Audi owns Lamborghini.

Ford owns Volvo, Jaguar, and Aston-Martin.

GM owns SAAB, Lotus, Isuzu, and Daewoo.

Chrysler owns a chunk of Mitsubishi, and of course has merged with Daimler-Benz.

Renault owns Nissan.

This is fun!

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

They sold it to Ford, after investing quit a bit into the design of the Freelander.

While VW bought Rolls-Royce, starting this year BMW took ownership of the *name* Rolls-Royce.

VW also owns Skoda, and Audi is just a group within VW Aktiengesellschaft which also includes Lamborghini and Seat.

... and Landrover and Mazda. But they don't own Volvo-Trucks.

GM also owns 20% or so of Subaru, to the dismay of many Subaru enthusiasts who are afraid GM parts will show up in their cars.

and 20% of Renault/Mack/Volvo trucks.

I agree!

- D.

Reply to
TransFixed

well, i am glad to hear that my favorite car companies are still running german blood thru them. :D

Reply to
dontbeleivethis

Too bad; the entry-level Jaguar now looks like a chromed-over taurus. Ford also owns about 35% of Mazda, although that number may have changed recently.

Let's just hope they don't buy NASA . . . think of the cheesy body moldings they would slap on the shuttle . . .

Well, it was advertized as a merger; don't tell that to the good ol' boys at chrysler. It appears to have been a stealth takeover.

Reply to
H2Only

H2Only schrieb:

Actually it's an chromed-over Ford Mondeo, quite a bit smaller than a Taurus. First they developed a 4WD system for the mondeo, because they did not want to offer a jag with FWD, then they dropped 4WD for the base model jag to get prices more competitive...

Ingo

Reply to
Ingo Braune

Sorry to those if this is a duplicate. I swore I posted via my *real* news server but while following the thread on the road via groups.google.com my post seems to have dissapeared:

*(inlude the * at the end)It doesn't give a nice pretty heirarchy, but if you click on a companyit says who owns it. It doesn't look like Lotus is owned by anyone...

Ferrari is owned by Fiat.

One downside of all of this is companies start cutting costs by sharing parts. There was an article on edmunds about how car companies use the same platform for their cars, but some are being lazy and not changing anything. They did cite VW for pulling this off perfectly. (With the Passat and A4). Jaguars of old looked like you took a round pipe and hit it with a hammer, they had an oval look to them. Everytime I pass one I look at it and it looks like a damn Taurus. Saab's styling is *gone*. I used to sort of like the look of the old 900s. You can definitely say they were unique. Now it looks like another GM car. Under Ford Volvo has been trying to shed it's boxy look.... But that's what i always remember is a Volvo. The old ones look like boxes. And big boxes hold lots of stuff.

I'd like to think that M-B would pull up the Chrysler brand. (And although it may have been a "merger" formally. M-B just took over. My uncle used to work at Chrysler and they had everyone ousted in favor of Germans.) But I don't think so. Who knows, maybe that brand new MayBach 200k+ car that they incroduced has hidden in its bowels some old Plymouth parts that didn't get used.

I second that.

Reply to
Jedediah A Frey

Actually, it's a chromed-over Mondeo.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

I'll bet he drives a Ford.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Kovago

: a rather smart "car guy" at work is trying to tell me FORD owns 51% : of porsche. Is this true?

: Does porsche own VW/AUDI ? If so does that mean FORD owns VW/AUDI?

: ???

: he also says that FORD owns ferrari ????

No, but the VW and Porsche relationship is a interesting one. Piech(sp?), the former VW CEO is Dr Porsche's grandson (Dr Porsche had two children, one boy and one girl and the girl married into the Piech family). Piech and his cousin Ferry Porsche did the design and development of the 911 together (I believe Ferry did the styling, and Piech did the mechanicals). At one point it was decided that no family members would be in charge of Porsche AG and so Ferry went to the Porsche Design Bureau and Piech moved to VW.

Ford attempted a hostile takeover of Ferrari in the late 1960's. Eventually, after Ford was unable to buyout Enzio Ferrari they unleashed their own racing team and developed the GT-40. Ferrari, already under financial pressure ended up selling all except the Ferrari racing team to Fiat.

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing