88 Cab engine upgrades?

I was wondering if anyone has tried using the 2.0L 20v passat engine in an older cabriolet?

Are there any turbo kits for these engines?

i know people who have used the 2.0L ABA engines in these older cabs with success but all of them naturally aspirated.

any thoughts?

Reply to
David Harper

it's gotta have the 1.8, i'm almost positive cabbys only had the jh engine. so if you wanna turbo that thing, 8vturbo.com...

a 20v urbot will go just about anyplace you want it to go as long as you have the cash. and i would guess that swapping an aba is about as easy as a

20v. and that would be one awesome cabby.

Reply to
Steven Emett Hill

I am having problems locating a core for this engine and have been unable to find any turbo kits for this engine. was this engine sold in the united states or canada?

i found some info stating that it was in late 90s passats. I really dont want to upgrade to this engine if i can not find rods, bearings and cams (especially to suit the turbo better).

Reply to
David Harper

Ok what do you really want to do?

The Audi 80s came with a 2.0 8v engine also that looks like what you are currently running. You would need to replace the oil pump & pan and both manifolds. It should be a bolt in modification and still look stock. Fuel injection might be different, I forgot if you current FI has provisions for the knock sensor.

You could put in a 16V engine, 1.8 or 2.0. The early Passats (90-93?) could have that engine in the 2.0 liter version. I think the only issue you will have is the right side mount. I think one of the holes will not be threaded. :-( So you may have to use a bolt and nut.

I installed an 86 GTi engine in my 88 Cabriolet to sell it. Nice engine and not too much for the auto trans either. That is how I know about that hole for the right side mount not being threaded! But it may be there for the 16Vs.

The above three choices that I mentioned should be easy to install in your Cabriolet, but to get more power you may have to modify your FI system! With the exception of the 16V engine, they will look pretty much stock also.

Of course there are more options too such as a 2.0 liter from the A3s, or some of the newer 1.8T engines I would think. Or some aftermarket turbo kits or supercharger kits. Hey what about a Corrado G-60 engine in your Cabriolet? lol

How much $$$ will you spend...to go faster????

Remember that you don't want to tear the Convertible body apart with too powerful an engine! lol

JMHO later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

Yeah i am really set on making my car super expensive and completely unsafe ;)

seriously though i am willing to put the time and expense into this project over the winter here.

i have been considering the 2.0L 16V recently since i cant seem to find any 2.0L 20V engines and parts anywhere on the net. I suspect that this is a european engine only. Therefore bearings, rods, pistons etc might be hard to come by. as with building some rice rockets with JDM motors.

I cant even seem to find any good suppliers of A1 and A2 performance parts.

as for FI i was thinking motronic or CIS.

If anyone has any suggestions for the FI system of choice for tuning let me know.

perhaps there is an easier way to get 250+ daily driving hp.

I am pretty new to the watercooled world so please bear with me, my newest car before this was a 1970 VW type 3 squareback.

that engine in the 2.0 liter version.

Reply to
David Harper

Good Sites For Watercooled VW Performance Stuff:

P. Van Hout

And the G-60 engine is not enough for you? I watched someone easily modify one in his Corrado.........It was scary and fast! Smaller diameter Supercharger pulley/sprocket, different chip in the ECM and fuel pressure regulator, larger exhaust. Scary!! later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

i am going to check into G60 option. although i was warned that they were plagued by supercharger problems, or is this a myth.

Reply to
David Harper

Yes the plauge is true, but easily fixed buy a couple of cheap updated parts vw sells.

Reply to
P. Van Hout

Hmmm I thought that money was no object for you! lol

The one I helped modify already had over 100k miles on the original SuperCharger and was running very well.

Now remember that you will need better brakes to stop your vehicle with all of this additional power you want!!!!!

dave

i am planning on putting large brakes in the front, not sure what size to run i will have to measure my rims for this.

the rears will get updated with parts i have salvaged off of a jetta karat from the same year. according to the part numbers for jettas with drums in the rear their drums are the exact same as a cabs. therefore i figured that the jetta karat discs should fit perfectly and all shall work well.

Reply to
David Harper