'88 Wrangler needs new 4.2L engine...

I need to replace the 4.2L engine in my '88 wrangler and I was wondering if I could drop in an older 4.2L engine. I found a '78 4.2L, but I don't think they're interchangable. Does anyone have personal experience with this, or any advice?

Thanks,

Josh

Reply to
Josh

The main difference is the pilot bearing in the flywheel center. The 78 has a bushing that is slightly larger then the bearing the 88 uses.

You can just use the 88's flywheel as far as I know or you can pull out the bushing and the bushing retainer and press a bearing in I think.

Other than that, the 78 might have a 1 bbl carb and manifold on it. You can swap over the 88's 2 bbl easy enough. If it already has the 2 bbl, you would be laughing. That old one is the better carb. In either case, a kit for the carb is only twenty bucks or so.

The 88 has better engine mounts, I would keep them or their style mount

Just FYI, if your 88 is only blowing oil into the air filter, (blowby), that can be fixed usually. It is usually a bad line on the PCV valve or a dead charcoal canister. A new engine will do the same....

Oh, I have a 78 engine in my 86 I think also.

You also 'can' hook all the pollution junk up to the 78 too if you want....

Mike

Mike Romain

Oops, the bushing and bearing are in the end of the crank and will need to be switched. A local machine shop had a slick tool for pulling them out.

Mike

Mike Roma>

Reply to
Mike Romain