88 Fox no power after 3500RPMs

I have a 88 Fox and the issue i am having is that once it hits about

3500 RPMs it will not rev any higher. I have replaced the fuel distruibtor,fuel filter,injectors ect It seems like once the scond butterfly is open nothing happens other than a sound comming from the air box. Also the idle is around 1500 Rpm Please Help
Reply to
dannyreseck

Did you check ignition and camsfaft timing. Also did you check the cat to see if it's plugged?

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

What is the best way to see if the cat is clogged with out putting a new one on?

Reply to
dannyreseck

What is the best way to see if the cat is clogged with out putting a new one on?

Reply to
dannyreseck

If the exhaust manifold overheats, the cat is plugged.

Reply to
Eduardo K.

Do Fox's use digifant I? -Check O2 sensor, and temperature sensors.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

'88 Fox should be CIS-E. Fox didn't get the Digifant until a couple years later. Though I think CIS-E does have an O2 sensor.

Will it rev above 3500rpm in neutral? If so, my guess is that the problem lies in the fuel system. If not, could be anywhere. Sorry that's not real helpful. :(

Have you replaced the spark plugs/wires/coil/distributor cap recently?

Reply to
tylernt

If it won't rev in neutral either and/or is struggling to rev, your ignition timing is probably way off.

Reply to
Matt B.

I am replacing the cat tonight and hopefully that fixes the issue also it will not rev any higher in neutral

Reply to
dannyreseck

If the cat doesn't do it, check your ignition timing.

Reply to
Matt B.

The cat does not seem to be the prob does anyone know about the coolant temperature sensor?I see three sensors on the thermostat housing which one could be the prob if any?

Reply to
dannyreseck

coolant sensor isn't going to affect revability. ignition timing is the likely culprit.

Reply to
Matt B.

Ok, so I looked it up in the Bentley. Poor performance under full throttle could be caused by:

Weak ignition spark (had a tune-up recently??) Intake restrictions (replaced the air filter recently??) Air flow sensor flap binding or faulty Inadequate fuel supply (replaced fuel filter recently??)

In any kind of "guess and check" automobile troubleshooting, you generally try the cheapest things first and make your way up to the most expensive ones until the problem goes away. In this case, I'd say

1) rent a timing light, 2) replace your air and fuel filters, 2) throw a new cap, wires, and plugs in, and maybe even 4) install a new coil. Then you can start digging into the high dollar items.

Just IMHO :)

Reply to
tylernt