88 Fox Will Not Stay Running

Hello I replaced the engine in my Fox with one out of a '91 Golf. Engine block and cylander head are all the same for 1.8l. I have everything hooked up properly but when I fire the engine it will only run for about 10 seconds and die unless i feather the peddle to 3000 rpm. I have checked everything a dozen times and cannot seem to find the problem as to why it will not stay running. I am getting lots of spark and lots of fuel. If anyone has any ideas I would like to hear them. Many Thanks Kelly

Reply to
SIDESHOW

I'm assuming this is digifant? The way to tell is whether you have a common fuel rail rather than a single fuel line from a fuel distributor directly to each fuel injector. (The digifant injectors also have electric connections and there's only 4 of them. CIS related systems have

5 injectors--one for cold start enrichment)

Will it stay running if you hold 3k rpms? If so, perhaps it's the coolant temp sensor or the timing (need to verify both cam and ignition timing). You'll need to get it all the way warmed up to check the ignition timing.

Also could be a vacuum leak causing a lean condition, I suppose.

If it's extremely cold where you are test>Hello

Reply to
Bob Hetzel

,
Reply to
SIDESHOW

So you have a Digifant '91 Golf engine in a car that originally took CIS? I hope you swapped ECUs too?

Reply to
Matt B.

Reply to
SIDESHOW
91 Golf engine = High compression engine that needs a knock sensor to operate properly which the Fox IIRC does not have. 8^o Vacuum connection used to be on the Fox cyl. head between #3 and #4 fuel injectors IIRC. Did you change the distributor back to a Fox distributor with the vacuum advance IIRC. Check the wiring at the cold start valve. I think that this is a ground for the Fuel Pressure Regulator also. Could be running rich because of bad wiring to 02 sensor, or bad sensor. LIKELY Could be running rich because of a bad Coolant Temperature Sensor for the FI. UNLIKELY YOUR IMMEDIATE PROBLEM. Did you check the plate for the fuel distributor. LIKELY!!!

********** Oh and did you triple check the wiring to make sure you hooked the correct plug to the Cold Start Valve? I believe you might have connected the Aux. Air Valve plug might fit onto the Cold Start Valve. VERY LIKELY!!!! BTW the connections might be color coded (Blue plug on blue device, black plug on black device) IIRC since I forget a lot! lol

**********

let us know what you find! later, dave

83 Audi 4000s (with Rabbit GTi engine)

Reply to
Dave

Hello Thanks for all the good points to look into... I got the car running. It was the the ground for the cold start injector and also an incorrect hook up for the PCV line that was hooked to a vacume line. Many thanks for all the help. Kelly

Reply to
SIDESHOW

glad it is running, but now the question is HOW well is it running?

dave

Reply to
SIDESHOW

Good for you Kelly! disconnect the little leads off the alternator and see if the battery light goes out with the ign on. If it stays on, that wire might be grounded somewhere other than the alternator.

dave