89 Golf Stalling Problem

Was driving home from work tonight and my Golf stalled and refused to restart. Had to leave it and then i went back about three hours later and it started fine. Car was warmed up and at regular temperature (wasn't anywhere near overheating ) and was otherwise running fine. I had been in very slow stop and go traffic for about ten minutes before and when i stopped at a set of lights it stalled just as i was about to take off. I'm a little perplexed, not really sure what would cause it to do that. I've had stalling problems in humid weather but that was a problem with the temp sensor and once it was replaced the problem went away. Never had a problem with stalling when warmed up and in warm, dry weather. Anyone have any ideas what it could have been?

Oh, and BTW the car is a 89 Golf 1.8 8v Digifant.

Mitch

Reply to
Mitch

I'm assuming that your engine cranked normally but wouldn't start??

It could be your transfer pump. As I understand these act up especially in hot weather and when the gas in the tank is low. The gas helps keep it cooler.

If your tank was pretty low when this happened, you should be able to keep it happy for a while by keeping your tank at least half full. I've never done one myself, but I don't think they are too tough to replace.

Of course, if this becomes a regular problem, check for spark before replacing your whole fuel supply system part by part!

Good luck,

Jason

Reply to
Jason Faas

I just had a VERY similar problem with my 88 16v Scirocco. The transfer pump on my scircco is right under the back seat. If you have the metal Lock-Ring that holds the transfer pump/fuel sending mechanism then follow my tip. USE

2 vice clamps on each side of the lock ring and turn it counter clockwise and carefully pull the fuel pump/unit out of the tank. And you'll probably want to try and plug the hoses with something since they will spill a little fuel. Let me know if you need a walkthrough. Also, be very careful with the wires on the fuel sending unit when re-installing the lockring/fuel pump.
Reply to
PJ4LIFE