90 Jetta Idle problem on startup / 98 Jetta ignition key question

if its a flat metal key, go get it copied, as far i've seen only 99.5 ( Jetta 4 ) are the chip keys. mines a 97 jetta gl and ive made keys at the local hardware store

-Lee

Reply to
Lee

I recently got a 1990 Jetta Carat, very nice car. I't does the same thing my 87 GL used to. Shortly after starting the car, (1.8 8v) within a minute, the idle begins a cycle of almost quitting, and then revving up to about 2000. I have to give it a little gas at the bottom of the cycle to prevent quitting.

I start driving and the problem is gone in another minute. If I remember right it gets a bit worse in cold weather. I remember something about the O2 sensor. Disconnecting it may make the problem go away... perhaps it may be the O2 sensor. These cars are/were manual transmission.

The other question is about our 98 Jetta GL, auto trans. We want a third copy of our ignition key for the daughter, and I wonder if this is a "chipped" key, and if using a copy from the hardware store would hurt the car.

Thanks, Les

2 Jetta family, may become 3 next year.
Reply to
Les

The key ends in a rounded hunk of plastic like many car keys. Unlike my ex's 99 Ford key it doesn't have a little removable part though.

Les

Lee wrote:

Reply to
Les