94 Jetta radiator fan removal

It appears that to remove the twin fan assembly that one of the a/c hoses must be disconnected at the top of the radiator. Is this correct or is there some way of maneuvering the fans out of the car without removing any a/c hoses.

If the hose must be removed, I obviously must evacuate the system. There are two valves at the firewall. One is obviously high and the other is low. Which is which. One is quite bigger than the other so I?m thinking that the smaller one is the low. Am I correct or is it the other way around.

Or can you just remove the main fan, which is bad and change it out and leave the fan belt?

Reply to
Dave

The Bentley manual says to remove the front bumper and cross member to get to it. That sounds bad, and it's no fun, but it's not as bad as it sounds. Worst part was getting the grill off without breaking clips. Didn't happen of course, but RTV worked pretty well to glue it back on.

I've read here that some have been able to jockey things around just enough to get it to slide out the top.

If it's like my '95, and hasn't been changed, and my memory from 6 years ago is still good, there's a nut on front of the fan you have to remove to get the fan motor out.

While you're in there, you might as well change the fan belt between the two fans too.

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

That's exactly what I had to do. It really wasn't too hard, just time consuming.

Anyone who says they did it without removing the front end or draining the a/c and removing the line is smoking what I'd like to have.

Reply to
Dave

Yeah, I looked and tried to figure out how they did it, but it looked like I was lacking about a half inch, or maybe more properly 1.3cm, of having enough room. Even then it would have been tight.

Another "while you're in there" thing. Replace the coolant hoses on the front of the motor. They're MUCH easier to get at while the front's off. If you're due an oil change too, the filter's right there. Belts might be easier to get at too. Not that they're difficult anyway.

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

The front end is easy to get off, just remember to disconnect the hood release cable or it will still be attached to the front end when you do finally drop it off. It will probably break if you don't disconnect it first. Also, look out for the purge canister connector (located to the lower left front of the engine, down near the wheel if you are looking at the front of the car). The mystery bolts are hidden behind the plastic lenses placed over the front turn signal lamps.

You don't need to drain the radiator to change either the fan assembly of the thermal switch that screws into the radiator, but it will help if the engine is cool when you do either.

Reply to
PabloRena ---> AnalProbe

Pictures of a radiator job here

I am not sure if you can change the radiator fan easily or not. :-( I might say that maybe if you unbolt the radiator fan it might give you enough clearance to wiggle it out of the engine compartment. Or remove the alternator and A/C compressor without disconnecting the A/C lines. BTW does your A/C work? ;-)

Good luck and let us know how you do it! later, dave (One out of many daves)

snip

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1