95 Jetta, both locks broken, car is locked, I am an idiot.

Due to frost, I forcefully tried to open a lock this morning, and broke it (cylinder came out). Proceeded to do same on the other side. Now I have a locked car with 2 broken locks. Should I just break the window (I have glass coverage), or call a locksmith, or what would you recommend? Also, I believe the parking break is engaged, so I think a tow is also out of the question.

-KJ

Reply to
KJ

OK, I got one of them open. I guess I'll just drop it off at the mechanic's.

Reply to
KJ

That is not a bad do-it-yourself job. However having it done by the shop will get you going again quickly. The repair is done with stronger parts that the original.

I like to rinse out my locks with glycol antifreeze each fall, and then apply some lube. The glycol washes out most water, and will mix with residual water to make it not freeze. Others like commercial products made for the purpose, and others prefer WD-40.

Watch for drips and wipe them from the paint.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Just as an FYI of what they're gonna do...

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

Thanks, Mark.