Locked Keys In Car

I just got my '97 Explorer V8 about two weeks ago from a POS 91 Honda Civic.... The great thing about Hondas is you really can't lock your keys in your car easily...

Completely forgetting the fact that I was driving a new car, I set my keys on the floormat in the back, grabbed the groceries, and hit the "lock" button in the truck.

I shut the trunk and realized as soon as it clicked that my keys were inside. I was locked out of my car, and out of my house (and the day before we'd gone around making sure you couldn't break in anymore because the roommate we don't like had lost her key and was just climbing through the window in broad daylight...).

I borrowed the neighbors phone and called the good roommate to have her come let me in so I could call a locksmith to get in the Ford.... I hadn't yet got a spare key... she comes home, and while I'm explaining what had happened she took her key from her late 80s early 90s Ford Escort and stuck it in my lock... just because she was bored...

To both of our amazement when she turned the key, it unlocked my car.

I thought it may be a fluke... you know, a worn out lock on the passenger side or something... no... it works on the drivers side, and the ignition too.

What are the odds of that happening? To be honest, it kind of freaked me out... if she can get in my car with her key... who else can?

Our keys are the same basic shape and size and there are only two spots where my key is a bit wider then hers.

Anybody else discover anything unusual like this?

Reply to
Dying4Eternity

In years gone by, if I'm ever stuck in a lock-out situation, I often try other vehicle keys in situations where using a slim jim might leave legacy marks... given that there are only so many tumbler combinations available with 5 and 7 pin tumblers, it's not uncommon to run across your situation.

I had both an '85 F150 4X4 and an '81 Cougar..... the ignition keys were interchangeable if you held your tongue right. To be honest, I wouldn't be very concerned... locks are, after all, only designed to keep honest people honest. If someone wants to get into your car, they will get in...

Civic.... The great thing about Hondas is you really can't lock your keys in your car easily...

Reply to
Jim Warman

The real old trick to the double sided key (before chips in keys and you had

2 ford vehicles) was to cut one side of key for vehicle a and the other side for vehicle b and grind a notch on the part of the key you hold so you could feel which way to hold the key up for vehicle a. wth
Reply to
wth

Here's one for you. I bought a house a couple years ago and of course, replaced all the door locks with a "one key" setup. Went down to my office one day and forgot my "master" key that opens up every door in the building. I thought, what the heck and tried my house key and it opened up EVERY door I tried it on. When I hold the master key to my house key, they look very similar except for one ridge and groove.

[...]

Tom C.

It's not real unusual. After work one day, a fellow worker found that he had locked his keys in his Ford truck. As we waited in the parking lot, we asked everyone that came by if they had a Ford key. We tried all the keys that were provided by those that stopped. At about the 10th key, we opened the door. It seems that the lock geometry is not as complex for doors as it is for ignitions. Ron

Reply to
R&B

a buddy from work used to drive a mid 80's Audi,the ignition key also fit all the golf carts where we work,I was so p_ssed when he got rid of that car as I wanted a copy of that key....

Reply to
anonymizer