'95 Jetta has an electrical problem?

A friend of mine mentioned an unusual problem in his Jetta:

His speedo and tach work intermittently. Sometimes they both "bounce" before working properly. There is no other correlation that he notices. I suggested it might be an electrical problem - ISTR that Jettas of that vintage had electrical senders for that info. Maybe a poor connection in a plug on the transmission, or some such?

Anyway, he is also new to the Portland, OR area (Hillsboro, actually) and he doesn't want to take his car to Herzog Meier to hear that it's going to cost more than the car is worth to fix, or that they can't get to it until September, etc, etc. Can anyone recommend a good, independent shop in the greater Portland area? (Assume for now that Vancouver and Wilsonville are NOT in the greater Portland area, LOL.)

TIA,

Reply to
Jonesy

Man, my IP started doing that a couple months ago. There are sensors that transmit to the instrument cluster or speed/tach etc... The manual should show which fuses/relays to check first. Then obviously the sensors/switches themselves. And one I always enjoy - busting out the ol' voltmeter and testing the pins on cluster for shorts... I missed something, I'm sure... Its early here in CA.

n>A friend of mine mentioned an unusual problem in his Jetta:

XXninjatooXX - Man, every time I Farfegnugen it costs me a couple hundred bucks... Can't help but love my VeeDubs:

1995 Jetta III GL 2.0L 5sp, White, modified suspension and chipped. 1995 Jetta III GLS 2.0L 5sp, Black, Rebuild with modified GTI front-end.
Reply to
XXninjatooXX