Engine vibes causing rattling, what works to stop it?

Hello

I have a minor gripe... When in Drive, and foot on the brake, I get some decent vibrations that come thru the transmission into the car body. If I slip it into neutral it all goes away, this is of course because when in drive the driveshafts are all still connected, and the car wants to move forward.

Anyhow, this causes my glovebox and lock on a rear door to vibrate. Would putting some felt piece on the top of the glove box quiet the sound down?

How hard is it to remove an interior door panel to see what I can do about the locking mechanism shakeing?... I can stop the shakes on either item if I just touch them.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Buy a 2.0L?

Reply to
Pete Cressman

LOL! I couldn't resist! Yep the below is typical TDI syndrome or any other VW diesel for that matter. :-)

Reply to
Peter Parker

Sounds like the front motor mount is shot. Have someone place a floor jack with a piece of wood under the oil pan while its vibrating and slowly jack it up. Just enough to take some of the wieght off the mounts. You will be able to tell imediately if that is what it is.

Good Luck, Butch

Reply to
Anton382

I looked at my buddies 2003's glovebox and there is rubber bumpers on the door... I think they fixed the rattle later in production.

Don't think the motor mount is broken, cuz it's fine everywhere else, our Volvo shakes more when the tranny is in drive as well... but it's an inline

Reply to
Rob Guenther