98 passat jumped time ?

A 98 pasat 4 cyl turbo was towed to my shop with loose tensioner nut, apparently jumped. Does anyone know how many "teeth" it could jump and not do any damage,3? 4? Any advice on repair options. I'm a little aprensive about pulling the head. Would like to come across a low mileage used engine.

Reply to
Janda

Does the t-belt still have all the teeth on the belt, and if so you maybe be lucky. How many miles on present engine? If any teeth are missing then you may have bent valves. Why a used engine, if yours runs well, doesn't use oil, then just fix it! Remember ALL junk yards only have low miles engines(lol)!

apparently jumped. Does anyone know how many "teeth" it could jump and not do any damage,3? 4? Any advice on repair options. I'm a little aprensive about pulling the head. Would like to come across a low mileage used engine.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Have a new timing belt put on it then have the compression checked. It's unlikely you'll make anything worse. If you were lucky you've saved a bit of $$. If not, they can test the compression w/o fully putting everything back together so it won't waste much time.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Hetzel