98 Passat VR5 Coolant Leak

Can someone help me pinpoint a coolant leak?

1998 Passat VR5 Syncro

With the coolant system pressurized, I'm getting a slow dribble coming out very high on the engine block.. looks to be ABOVE the head gasket, on rear, drivers side. It's very hard to see past the hoses, but it looks like there is perhaps a vertical seal on the back. What's really back there?

Any suggestions on locating the leak source further?

tia.. jim

Reply to
burgerbyte

flange on back of head.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Well yeah, that's what I suspect... The tiny bit I can see looks like a vertical machined surface, presumably with a leaking gasket. But this is a new engine to me... and I cant find any info online, and no manuals here in Sweden. (Plus EVERYONE is gone on vacation... ONLY the outrageous VW dealer is open, yuck)

So I'm still wondering... what's back there? What mates up to this 'flange' ? And whats holding it on? (In other words can I access this without having to pull the engine!!!)

Thankx

Reply to
burgerbyte