A2 Engine Rebuild

I have a '92 GTI with 200K that needs a re-build. Has anyone out there actually done this on an A2 vehicle who wouldn't mind answering a few questions?

Thanks, David Abineri

Reply to
David Abineri

"David Abineri" wrote

You sure it needs a rebuilt? Many times only the head needs work.

A classic rebuild requires boring and honing the cylinder including perhaps oversize pistons and rings and have the crankshaft ground and fitted with with new bearings. New pistons, rings.etc.

It is easiest to take it to an auto machine shop that does it (the motor) and they fit the pistons, grind the crank etc. Easiest of all is to buy a rebuilt short or long block and trade your old engine in for the core.

I rebuilt one engine by machine shop once and assembled it. It does not pay for the time invested compared to buying a warranted short or long block. VWs are known in the lower end to go way over 200K but the head is probably all carboned up and needs seals. The head I put on an Auid 3A motor was off a 1.8 and I did not rebuild the head but cleaned it up. It was LOADED with carbon about 1/8 inch thick around the valves and in the ports. Being careful not to peen mating surfaces, I took each valve out and blasted them with a blaster and blasted the ports. Hot tanked the head. Cleaned up and reassembled with new seals after checking valve stem clearances. It has ran perfect for years and still runs perfect. Though I have a new car I use it as my runner.

Harry

Reply to
Harry

Hary, Thanks for the response, very helpful hints.

I am doing this as a learning project so the time is not quite such an issue. I am more concerned with:

  1. Will I be able to find the parts I need?

  1. If it is re bored will I be able to find oversized pistons/rings that are correct for this engine?

  2. If the crank is re ground will I be able to find the correct size main bearings and connecting rod bearings?

  1. If they crank is re ground, does the machine shop typically heat treat the new surface?

  2. Where do I get these parts if they are no longer the standard VW parts anymore?

Thanks again for your help on this project.

David Abineri

Harry wrote:

Reply to
David Abineri