A2 GTI Bad Rear Caliper?

1987 VW GTI 8V with 220,000 miles on the original brake hardware. Recently I noticed that my parking brake was not holding well. I figured the cable had
stretched over the years and simply required adjustment. I'm now finding that the rear passenger side caliper will not bind the rotor even at the limit of the cable's adjustment. I can spin the rotor by hand when the parking brake is fully engaged. When I press the brake pedal, the caliper seems to bind the rotor properly. The cable is not broken and I've checked that the lever on the caliper is being actuated properly. Do I have a bad rear caliper here? Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Kent
Possibly a streched e-brake cable or the pads are worn. Might be a combo of the both.
Don