96 Golf, won't start, alarm goes off w/ key in ignition

Car had been sitting for 3 days, started up fine, drove home and turned off ignition. 10 sec later I went to start it and there was nothing, no click no power at all. Then the alarm went off w/ the key in the ignition. Pulled key out and put back in, it looked like power came back: lights worked etc, but car won't turnover. More fiddling caused alarm to go off. While alarm is going off lights are flashing, instrument panel is going on and off, gauges go up and down, very bizarre. It seems like something might be shorting in the ignition switch, any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks.

Reply to
kbatch

try unlocking the driver's door again. also clean and check your battery and it's connections.

might be a battery connection problem or grounding wire problem. or an alarm problem possibly.

does your original radio require the code to work now?

dave

I have an aftermarket radio. Tried cleaning the battery connection, but it did not help. Seems like its a problem w/ the alarm. The alarm goes off w/ key in ignition and the only way to kill the alarm is by putting the key in the door and unlocking or locking the car.

Reply to
kbatch

I think Woodchuck wrote a "How-To" on disconnecting/bypassing the alarm. Try to do a search for this if that is what you need to do that right now.

I am not up on the factory alarms, but maybe one of the microswitches is bad, but I would have thought once you disarm the alarm (unlock driver's door with key) you should be able to start the car. :-o later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

Has the battery in your key died? or car has forgotten the code of your key? get them reprogrammed at VW garage.

Reply to
Joe

Believe it or not, my '95 behaved similarly when there were problems with the rear door wiring harnesses. Pull back the rubber boot and check the wires for stretching, breaking, etc.

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

hey.........I have a 96 VW jetta GL i need help here! I 've bought an air intake sensor! question 1..... how can restart/jump the sensor after i install i

question 2......what can i put or install to cool down m

engine(inside) front part of the car? cold intake From VWsport.com NNTP Gateway

Reply to
monchichi1437

#1- why? #2- How hot is it running & Yes.

Reply to
Woodchuck