A3 Stall Problem

Recently had some body work done on my '98 A3 Golf 2.0 following an unexpected off-road excursion on my way skiing. The car now has an issue that I haven't resolved that is draining the battery. It had been running fine up until the day I picked it up from the shop. The battery was discharged and we had to jump it with a jump box. Almost immediately following, on the way home, the check engine light came on, and the car wouldn't run over 2500 RPM most of the time. It seemed to quit if I got into the throttle much more than very lightly, and would stall, but then pick back up around 1000 to 1200 if I kept off the gas. It would idle fine.

I've yet to get the codes red. My cheap chinese code scanner won't power up, so I don't know what the light is on for yet. I'm kind of wondering if the jump box zapped something.

Anyone had a similar issue? How'd you resolve it?

Reply to
bruce

Read the codes or you will be in the dark! ;-) Could be too many things including a clogged catalytic converter.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I find that after fully charging the battery over the weekend the car is now running fine, and eventually, the check engine light did turn off, so I won't know what tripped that even if my code reader did decide to power on. I'm leaning with my initial conjecture which was that the battery was so dead before jumping (key chimes didn't even tick, let alone sing) that calls for power above the level of idle caused voltage to drop low enough to make the engine manage computer to shut down. Now I'm left to hunt down the leak that is causing my battery to drain if left for more than a couple of days.

Now on to my corrollary question, since your email address may indicate that you have more than a casual interested in VW repair. I'm looking to see if anyone has bought and used one of the ElmScan

327 devices that an outfit is sell> Read the codes or you will be in the dark! =A0;-)
Reply to
bruce

Are you going with the bluetooth ElmScan 5 from scantool.net? Interesting to use one of these adapter wirelessly. Kind of a nice idea, but it is $199.95! ;-) I see the one you are talking about ElmScan 5 for $129.95 with a choice of colors. 8^) It seems like there are possibly quite a few Elm clones on ebay which includes a bluetooth style # 320237397028. Plenty of software choices too. Sounds interesting!

I really prefer the ross-tech.com adapters. I have 2 of them, one married to the desktop computer and one for the laptop. There are many clones on Ebay like item # 220223557107 under $30 shipped to you. That is inexpensive, less than an oil change or taking the family out to the movies!! lol I am tempted to try a clone for that price.

I have heard of problems with the USB clones though so I would only recommend the serial version clones if you have a laptop with a serial port or a pcmcia slot (serial pcmcia adapter needed too). The serial versions can usually be easily lengthened if needed too. BUT the clones are limited to obsolete versions of the ross-tech.com software which should be fine for your vehicle. If you purchase/activate the software then you can apply that cost to purchasing a real adapter if you decide you want one.

Remember that the real ross-tech.com adapters are investments that can be resold pretty close to what you paid for it. Just go to ebay and search for 'ross tech'. 8^)

BTW There are a few codes that might trip the Engine Check light if the battery is low.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

If you are going to buy an adapter be sure it can handle the protocol that vw uses. Usually you can't go wrong with a ross tech.

SFC