Current leakage problem

Car got involved in accident and now out of body shop. Hood, Radiator and light lamp were replaced. Keyless entry stopped working after the accident. Also when I open the door using key it is kind of hard and require a lot more force to turn the key either closing or opening the door.

The problem I am facing now is battery is getting weak if I do not use the car for day or 2, it would not start and I need to get jump to get it started. I think there is some kind of current leakage. Battery is in use even I turn off and lock the car. I am just wondering how I can find out where the leakage is? So if car is not in use then battery should be resting and not given up all its energy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

99 VW Jetta (Old body style) 76,000 Miles Automatic
Reply to
rollersloft

shop. Hood, Radiator

stopped working after the

is kind of hard and

closing or opening the

getting weak if I do not use

need to get jump to get

current leakage. Battery is

just wondering how I can

in use then battery

energy.

Probably not your problem, but a friend had a battery run-down problem on a brand-new GM car some years ago. The dealer couldn't find where the leakage occured - until they had a fellow crawl into the trunk. The trunk light stayed on even with the trunk closed! Could there be a light inside the hood of your Jetta with a similar problem?

Reply to
R J Carpenter

Problem started after the accident...I can check for the lights...may it has some to do with built in factory alram system...not sure...

Reply to
rollersloft

Take it back to the place that supposedly fixed it. They didnt fix everything correctly.

Reply to
Biz

What needs to be done first is:

1 Check/test the battery 2 test for draw on the battery. It should be under 30ma.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Woodchuck, I think it may be possible accident damaged the battery. I do not have any tool to test the battery. What if I simply replace the battery...would this help

Reply to
rollersloft

Biz, I left the car with them twice and they to me sounds like only know body repair work. He was telling me to drive the car every day? and also mentioned some thing like these cars used more battery power then others. All this to me is Bul. S. becuase I being driving this car for 5 years never had any kind of problem

Reply to
rollersloft

Find a friend with a multimeter with a current settings, and do as Woodchuck suggested. Or buy a multimeter. They can be cheap and useful for other things. You want to get this fixed as part of the accident damage anyway. In fact, why is the troubleshooting not part of the accident repair?

Alternatively, as a cruder test, rig up a 12 volt light bulb. A 30 ma current would give you only 0.01 watts to the bulb, so you would not expect to see a glow.

A 5-year old battery will probably need replacing soon anyway, but running it dead several times with a current leak is not good for it.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

could stop by at them major auto parts store and have it tested. Many do it for free.

Reply to
Woodchuck